This is a fuzzy doozy...

tstrom

Greetings to all from a new user! This is a fantastic forum and site, and I'd like to thank the community and Mr. Excel in advance! OK, here's my issue. I have 2 lists to match: I am trying to match 2 columns of company names, one current customers (15,000), and one a list of industry leaders (1,200), and the the corresponding data in 2 additional comluns. Basically, I need to see if the companies in Column D, match the companies in Column A, and if so, grab the corresponding data in Columns B and C. I have tried Vlookup, match, partial match and the lookup(search,2^15), techniques to achieve my objective. One main issue is partial match duplicates, for example in the industry leader list (Column D) I have "Boeing", but in the customer list I have Boeing Co.,
BOEING AFMC SMC, BOEING COMPANY, and, BOEING DEFENCE UK LIMITED. This scenario is repeated across the majority of my customer list, so I am able to grab the first match and corresponding data, but the lookup(search,2^15) technique always work for partial match. I have also tried the "*"&"*" technique unsuccessfully, perhaps because of the number of partial duplicates...
I would really appreciate any guidance or suggestions for this problem. I have pretty limited experience with macros and VBA, so please bear with me... Thank you!

A B C D
BOEING DEFENCE UK 25 31 Boeing
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 266pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=355 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 266pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 12982" width=355><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 266pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=355 height=20>BOEING AFMC SMC 0 15 Lockheed </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>
Lockheed Martin 12 7 Northrop

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20>
Northrup Grumman 6 5 Rolls Royce

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back