This is a serious challenge

atlus1432

1st post

Im not bad in Excel but having seen some of the moderators answers Im beginning to re-think how good (or not) I am - lol. Having said that I have a real challenge. I trade the markets and I am testing a trading system that I have developed that requires certain conditions be met before generating a trigger to take a trade. I have built an application that takes actual data (free from Yahoo finance) and populates my application in Excel with opening price,high, low and the close of the day. Usually I grab about 3 years of historical data. I then use the RANDbetween function to "shuffle" the order of the data which then allows me to test my trading system under various conditions. When an alert is triggered it is because it has met all my conditions for taking a trade and I populate the cell with the entry price at the time the conditions are all met. What I am having trouble with is now GOING FORWARD (from top to bottom in a column) I want to compare THAT value (the entry price value) against the subsequent values. So for example, my system generates a buy signal and populates the cell with a price of 100. That is my entry - as a trader we now need to know if this entry signal goes on to increase in value (a winning trade) or does it reverse and stop you out at a pre-determined stop level (losing trade). In trading this called back testing but I am testing but under random outcomes which only strengthens your confidence in your trading rules. Any professional trader, once he or she has entered a trade, has a profit AND a stop objective in place. How do I compare the triggered cell value (lets use the 100 stock value) against the future values ?? If my profit objective were say 4 points and my stop was -2 points then I know using simple math that 104 would be a winning trade and 98 would be a loser. The final challenge is as I originally mentioned .. this is all within a RANDbetween environment which is always producing signals to take a trades randomly.

Any suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much
atlus :confused::confused::)

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You are right - this is a serious challenge.

And that start's with actually trying to read your post, and then trying to understand it.

You do realise that a lot of people won't understand what you mean by a 'trade'.

Also you seem to be mentioning a 'system' but you don't really give any details about it.

Have you developed it using formulas/code/magic?:)

Upvote 0
thanks for responding .... as I said .. 1st post .. I see that I was NOT specific enough..
consider a trade as a condition being met which populates the cell where that condition is met with a value

I would like to compare that populated value now against a later value. lets use a hypothetical stock ... I populate the platform with 3 years of price data...starting in row 1 - approximately row 900 ...I write a conditional formula (this I do NOT need assistance on - it works perfectly) .. lets say in row 250 I get a value in my formula cell because all conditions are met.. taht value is lets say 100 ... as we move down the rows the PRICE of the stock data is different from where my condition was met .. lets say in row 258 .. so .. my condition is MET in row 250 .... I would like to compare THAT value against the value in 259 IF it meets my objective. SO ... if I am buying a stock at a $100 value .. I want to compare it against each subsequent row to see if the value of the $100 entry price is rising (making $) or dropping (losing$) . All of this is in a random (between) environment

Hope that helps
atlus

Upvote 0
Altus

Sorry if I seem to be sounding a bit flippant/whatever but do you have a enter/return key on your computer?

If you spaced out/indented your post(s) then it would make them easier to read.:)

Upvote 0
Atlus. Try and model off of my hypothetical understanding of your goal. It is difficult to understand exactly what you are after.

I have all of my stock data in Range A1 to A900
In column B, I have my formulas that look at the values in column A to determine if certain conditions are met.

As an example, in B250, my formula meets the conditions for a buy signal. I now need to look ahead from A251 on down to determine if my trade was a winner or was stopped out. (Add other details here...)

This is sort of what I am gathering as it's a basic function that I have helped people with before. I know that you cannot reveal your strategy, but it is impossible to provide you with specific help without ALL of the relevant details...

I have no idea what ranges you are using and what values you are comparing to fire a signal.

Upvote 0
To : atlus1432

What about some normal punctuation/paragraphs/capitalisation/etc. - or in other words just generally writing in a way that is easily readable ?

Hats off to Norie and Tom Schreiner for responding to your posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back