Time Conversion Explanation

KuraiChikara

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I had a question about what a particular time conversion is called if it's called anything at all.

Example:
The formula I'm using is
=((A2*60)+B2)/60

If your children did homework for 4 hours and 30 mins. That can be converted to 4.5 or 4.50
If your children watched TV for 1 hour and 26 mins. That can be converted to 1.43
If your children played outside for 3 hours and 4 mins. That can be converted to 3.07

HoursMinsConverted

<tbody>
</tbody>

My question is, is there a name for the time conversion? Or is it simply time represented in decimal form?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
In your examples you are converting time in hours and minutes to hours - 4 minutes being 0.066666 ... hours.

Upvote 0
My question is, is there a name for the time conversion? Or is it simply time represented in decimal form?
As far as I know, it is simply known as expressing the time in hours or, if you someone who is "picky", decimal hours.

Upvote 0
Thank you for that, that helps out. I've been doing that time conversion for years and recently ran into someone who needed it explained. I advised them "time represented in decimal form." But that wasn't good enough.

Upvote 0
Thank you for that, that helps out. I've been doing that time conversion for years and recently ran into someone who needed it explained. I advised them "time represented in decimal form." But that wasn't good enough.
As far as I am concerned, it should have been.

Upvote 0
I'm following up on my own thread because I found the answer I was looking for.

My fellow posters in this thread explained that my examples: IE 1 minute is represented as 0.02, is simply representing ALL time as an hour or "decimal hours." However, there is a name for it. It's called "The 100 Minute Clock." And if you Google it in images, you will find charts that represent what I was explaining. I've been using it for years, I just didnt know that there's an actual name for it and someone else might need this information too. Now I have a name and an explanation of it's function IE" The 100 Minute Clock can represent all time as a fraction/decimal hour."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back