totalling a sheet when cells contain text and numbers

conky4

Hi, I'm using Excel 2010, I have a personnel tracking sheet that tracks an entire year for each employee by day and pay period. If a person calls out sick the cell is coded with SCK or sck and the hours that they are out ex: SCK 8 or sck 10.5 or SCK3.5...(some supervisors put a space after the code some dont...some capitalize some don't) I need to compile from the range of B6:O62 and keep a running total of all hours of sck under a separate cell (N3) within the same sheet.
example of what sheet looks like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm5ygypktljx9ig/personnel sheet test.xlsx

I currently have a "hidden sheet" that totals out for each row...basically a mirror of the other sheet with each cell having a formula similar to this: =IF(LEFT(B6,3)="SCK",VALUE(RIGHT(B6,LEN(B6)-3)),0) and then totaling at the end of the column with: =SUM(Q6:AD6)
This creates a HUGE file because I also need to do the same thing for Kid time and FMLA time...the workbook is already very large with all the employees and if I can narrow it down to 1 formula that totals the whole sheet without creating a separate hidden table, I think it would cut down on the size of my workbook.

useful I need to do something similar but just total a row and not the whole sheet. So I've created column "R" that I need to total the OT hours for C4: p4, D4:P4: etc on down the sheet. I need to total just the OT hours that are showing on that row however the sheet is again formatted OT4 or OT 4 or ot4 ot 4...with the text in the same cell as the hour amount. Can you help?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hello,

Not sure that i understand exactly what you want. But try this with CSE for the cell R4

=IF(SUM(IFERROR(SEARCH("ot",C4:P4),0)),COUNTIF(C4:P4,"X"),"")

Upvote 0
No, I need it to count the actual OT hours not the X days. so if the range says ot6 or OT6 or OT 6 or ot 6....(caps lock or spaces) it just totals the number that follows ot for that row. so if c4-p4 is a row for an employee and has OT6 x x x 12 12 12 OT4 x x x 12 12 8+4 on their sheet, at the end it would total just total the OT hours IE: 10 in this example.

Upvote 0
if you mean that at the same row it is possible to exsist for example "OT6" and "ot 3" and result should be equal to 6+3 =9 ?

if so then try with CSE:

=SUM(IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ot",C4:P4))*SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(C4:P4),"ot",""),0))

Upvote 0
Yes that is what I mean...I will try it when I get back to work on Monday and let you know! thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back