Trying to combine multiple large excel sheets into one power pivot table

nmss18

I have 11 (separate) excel files (one for each month from Feb - Dec of 2011). Each file is about 30mb large. I want to combine them to utlize centrally to create pivot tables and charts and am trying to do this via power pivot.

While I successfully (not without pain) added the file for for Feb to a power pivot table, I cannot figure out why I am having problems importing the file for March.

When I use the import tool I get the following error:

============================
Error Message:
Unspecified error
----------------------------
Failed to connect to the server. Reason: Unspecified error
Call Stack:
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalDataSourceConnection.InitializeConnectionObject(String connectionIdentifier)
----------------------------
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalDataSourceConnection.InitializeConnectionObject(String connectionIdentifier)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalDataSourceConnection.Open(String& connectionIdentifier)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.RelationalDataSourceConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.DataImportWizard.DataSourceBasic.TestConnection()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.DataImportWizard.DataSourceBasic.ClickTestConnection(Object progressControl)

Any assistance would be very appreciate.
Thank you,
Nathan

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Have you tried copying your tables one at a time to the clipboard and using 'paste append' in powerpivot?

Upvote 0
Nathan - are these text files? And can you provide more detail on precisely what you mean by "when you use the import tool?"

Upvote 0
No, they are excel files. In the end, my SQL admin is giving me direct access to the DB so I can pull all the data I need directly into powerpivot.
Thanks for responding.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back