trying to trigger multithreaded calculations, no such luck.

melisen

I have an excel workbook that do a monte carlo simulation where the recalculation take much too time for the purpose. In an attempt to speed things up I have made radical redesigns and the recalculation time has improved some but not enough.

I really need to trigger multithreaded recalculations: for that I have removed the need for VBA, I have replaced a data table with individual calculations but it still takes the same time to recalculate with one, two or four cores activated.

To figure out how to make a workbook that do multithreaded calculations I now have tried go to the other way: Make as simple a version of the structure I am trying to build as possible that ought to be an ideal candidate for multiple threaded calculations: The simple coin toss model: first cell flips a coin and add 1 if it is head, -1 if tails. Next in the row do the same and adds the value of the first cell aso for five cells. The first cell then add the value of the last cell for 10000 iterations. That is not itself a good candidate for multithreading but I do the same calculation in 1000 rows without any reference between the rows and it ought to be obvious for Excel that each row could be calculated in its own thread, no? But it doesn´t. What am I not seeing here?

Link to workbook: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1624676/testbed.xlsm It has a macro that only disable screen update while doing the recalculation. Opening the workbook as .xls or .xlsm file makes no difference...

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I am sorry to say so, but iterative calculations are (in most of the cases) executed on a single thread.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back