Unable to get the vlookup property of the worksheet function class

SBF12345

I am receiving the "unable to get the vlookup property of the worksheet fuction class" error on the line below.

Code:
Set RngStart = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(StartDate, SearchArray, 2, False)

The variable StartDate and SearchArray are constructed with the code below.

Code:
StartDate = Sheets("AllDistanceMeasures").Cells(aa, 9).value

Code:
With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("ActiveSheet")

EndArray = .Cells(Rows.Count, 6).End(xlUp).Row

Set SearchArray = .Range("E6", .Cells(EndArray, "F"))

End With

Any ideas as to why I might be receiving this error?

**unrelated

I shouldn't use the worksheet name "ActiveSheet" because of the object Activesheet, but i did in this case, apologies, just a heads up.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

I tend to avoid vlookup in vba, Find does the job quicker (I would reduce the SearchArray to 1 column) and I offset to get the value.
Note that I set up aa=1 to put my testing value on AllDistanceMeasures sheet

Code:
Sub Search()
Dim EndArray As Long
Dim SearchArray As Range
With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("ActiveSheet")
    EndArray = .Cells(Rows.Count, 6).End(xlUp).Row
    Set SearchArray = .Range("E6", .Cells(EndArray, "F"))
End With
Dim StartDate As Date
Dim aa As Long
[COLOR=#ff0000]aa = 1[/COLOR]
StartDate = Sheets("AllDistanceMeasures").Cells(aa, 9).Value

Dim RngStart As Range
[COLOR=#0000ff]Set RngStart = SearchArray.Find(StartDate).Offset(0, 1)[/COLOR]

MsgBox RngStart.Value
End Sub

To get it to work, I had to dim StartDate as a date, not a string as I entered a date in excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
interesting...it runs, but I am running into the same problem as I was when I had previously tried to use find to set addresss. (motivation for trying to write the same functionality with vlookup). 4 of 5 times I have date values that begin with "02". The find method returns values associated with a date value "12". So for instance the date "02/10/10" is returning the date "12/10/10". Any ideas or work arounds?

Upvote 0
interesting...it runs, but I am running into the same problem as I was when I had previously tried to use find to set addresss. (motivation for trying to write the same functionality with vlookup). 4 of 5 times I have date values that begin with "02". The find method returns values associated with a date value "12". So for instance the date "02/10/10" is returning the date "12/10/10". Any ideas or work arounds?
Wait, how can it mix 02 and 12? Even something doing with date format (I believe VBA works the american way mm/dd/yyyy) can't explain it. On my test it get right.
To be sure, can you go to an empty column next to search array, type = then select the cell aa,9 in distance measure sheet (put dollars around it), then = again and select the date cell same row in the array. When you dragg it down, you should have false every time and true for only match or does it also say true for 12 and 02?

Upvote 0
I’ve never seen that behaviour either.

The original error meant that the lookup value wasn’t found. (Also note that vlookup doesn’t return a range object, so the Set statement would fail even if the value were found)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back