Unable to set the FormulaArray property of Excel table column

Shundra9

I have an Excel table named "WT_DARK_STTC", with columns titled "STTC", "Tissue", and "Unit Distance", in addition to others. On another sheet, there is another table named "STTC", and I am trying to set the column formula of its fifth column. The formula I wanted is essentially a MEDIANIFS(), but since Excel provides no such formula, I had to use the array formula recommended in this SO post: Excel Median for multiple conditions - Stack Overflow. So here's my question, how do I set the column formula of an Excel table column to be an array formula? I thought the code below would suffice, but I get the error:
Run-time error '1004':
Unable to set the FormulaArray property of the Range class

Code:
valFormula = "=MEDIAN(IF(WT_DARK_STTC[Tissue]=""1"",IF(WT_DARK_STTC[Unit Distance]=[@[Unit Distance]],WT_DARK_STTC[STTC])))"
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("STTC").ListColumns(5).DataBodyRange.FormulaArray=valFormula

Clearly the formula is less than 255 characters. It isn't really in A1 or R1C1 style, but using Application.ConvertFormula() also gives me errors so I've been trying to use the valFormula as is. I've tried Dim-ing valFormula as a String and as a Variant. I've tried using the column's .Range and .DataBodyRange properties. I've even tried storing the column's DataBodyRange in a temporary Range variable. What's even more aggravating, if I try to record a macro of me typing this formula into the first column cell and then hitting Ctrl+Shift+Enter for an array formula, the generated code is almost identical to that shown above (it just uses Selection.FormulaArray instead). Does anyone know how I can fix this very annoying issue?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try..

Code:
valFormula = "=MEDIAN(IF(WT_DARK_STTC[Tissue]=""1"",IF(WT_DARK_STTC[Unit Distance]=[@[Unit Distance]],WT_DARK_STTC[STTC])))"

[COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR] ActiveSheet.ListObjects("STTC").ListColumns(5).DataBodyRange
    .Formula = valFormula
    .FormulaArray = .Formula
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR]

By the way, if the numbers in column "Tissue" are true numerical values and not numbers formatted as text, you'll need to remove the double quotes on either side of your criteria. So you'll need to replace...

Code:
=""1""

with

Code:
=1

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Domenic Awesome, that totally worked! Does this mean that you cannot set a Range's FormulaArray property without first setting its Formula property? And must they equal the same string?

By the way, if the numbers in column "Tissue" are true numerical values and not numbers formatted as text, you'll need to remove the double quotes on either side of your criteria.

Yes, I already made sure the Tissue column is formatted as text. Users could specify any string ID like "awesome tissue," but I've been testing with IDs like 1,2,3, etc. Good catch though :)

Upvote 0
Actually, in a Table, you can set the FormulaArray property for the first cell in the range, and the formula will automatically be copied down the column...

Code:
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("STTC").ListColumns(5).DataBodyRange[COLOR=#ff0000].Cells(1)[/COLOR].FormulaArray = valFormula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back