UNION ALL PIVOT SQL query

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I have a table for collecting results for different KPI's. When it comes to consolidating / aggregating the table into summaries, some KPI's should be summed (e.g. volume of corporate cards) and some KPI's should be averaged (e.g. average spend on corporate card). Therefore I have a field in the table that indicates which function to use for each record.

I would like to create a crosstab query, but I believe in order to have the average and sum results aggregate correctly I first need to select the 'Sum' records and then select the 'Average' records. Once the aggregate functions have been applied then I should be able to UNION ALL the results, right?

I come up with this:
Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(KPI_TBL.RESULT) AS SumOfRESULT
SELECT KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME, KPI_TBL.KPI_DESCRIPTION, Sum(KPI_TBL.RESULT) AS TOTAL
FROM KPI_TBL
WHERE (((KPI_TBL.Period) = #5/1/2011#) And ((KPI_TBL.RECORD_TYPE) = 0) And ((KPI_TBL.COUNTRY) = "GB") And ((KPI_TBL.Function) = "Sum"))
GROUP BY KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME, KPI_TBL.KPI_DESCRIPTION
ORDER BY KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME
PIVOT KPI_TBL.SECTOR
UNION ALL
TRANSFORM Avg(KPI_TBL.RESULT) AS AvgOfRESULT
SELECT KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME, KPI_TBL.KPI_DESCRIPTION, Avg(KPI_TBL.RESULT) AS TOTAL
FROM KPI_TBL
WHERE (((KPI_TBL.Period) = #5/1/2011#) And ((KPI_TBL.RECORD_TYPE) = 0) And ((KPI_TBL.COUNTRY) = "GB") And ((KPI_TBL.Function) = "Average"))
GROUP BY KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME, KPI_TBL.KPI_DESCRIPTION
ORDER BY KPI_TBL.MAJOR_COMMODITY, KPI_TBL.KPI_NAME
PIVOT KPI_TBL.SECTOR;

I get 'Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'KPI_TBL.SECTOR UNION ALL....''

Am I asking it to do too much? The intention here is actually to use the SQL in ADO from excel and return a recordset. If needs be I could run two queries and join the recordsets, but if what I am asking to be done is possible then I would rather get it right.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Do the UNION then do the pivot/crosstab from that.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I don't get how? There needs to be two transforms as one has to Average KPI_TBL.RESULT and the other has to Sum KPI_TBL.RESULT.

Upvote 0
I can run this type of query when they are saved as separate queries:

Code:
SELECT * FROM Query1
UNION ALL
SELECT * FROM Query2
The same fails when I use the actual SQL from Query1 and Query2.

I think Access can't handle this as raw sql - maybe something to do with how it executes the "Transform" instruction at the top. If you still have problems - create a third query (!):
Code:
SELECT * FROM Query3
Where Query3 is the union of Query1 and Query2.

I tend to save a lot of Queries with Access, that I might run as nested queries in SQL Server - Access seems to just perform better with saved queries.

Upvote 0
Thanks for confirming the same trouble your end XEN; I was worried I just wasn't getting the syntax right. So since I'll be doing this from Excel with ADO, because the intention is to write the results back to a range (CopyFromRecordset), I may as well run the two queries separately and just write the results of the 2nd directly below the 1st. At least I know now it can't be done in one hit. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back