Unusual Match / lookup function

df9864

Board Regular
Hi - would appreciate help with this one. I want to use a standard Excel function to solve a lookup based on criteria problem...

I have a 'key' on worksheet(1) with (let's say) 2 columns A & B - example values as follows (approx 75 in total).
GIAA 50%
GIAB 100%
GYEFF 80%
etc
where column A reflects a designated summary point in a hierarchy built by adding progressive characters to indicate parent-child relationships - eg. G has two children: GA & GB which in turn have childen GAA, GAB, GAC & GBA, GBB, GBC - you get the idea !! Note they are NOT all at the same level - ie. they can have different char lengths.
The second column (mygroup1, etc) denotes a % that I need to carry to the data sheet.

The Data on worksheet(2) has a column of alpha values that are at the lowest level (let's call it column X). There could be 30,000 + of these.
GIAABCD
GIABDEF
GIACCCCC
GYEFFFADD
etc

How do I return the % from the key of the 'parents' to the 'children' on the data sheet.
In the above example I would want the following (note the text string in the 'key' must be FULLY CONTAINED within the text string on the data sheet).

GIAABCD 50%
GIABDEF 100%
GIACCCCC Not found
GYEFFFADD 80%

I'm keen to avoid creating a function or macro as I want to pass on the process....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I'm thinking maybe a series of nested IFs / matches but it would be cumbersome and there will be alot of these so need to be easy on the memory !

By the way, I'm using Excel 2002...
Many thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi,

Not an elegant one..

In C1 on sheet1 and copied down,

=INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$4,MATCH(A1&"*",Sheet2!$A$1:$A$4,0))

In B1 on Sheet2 and copied down,

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$C$1:$C$3,0)),INDEX(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$C$1:$C$3,0)),"Not Found")

adjust the range.

HTH

Upvote 0
In your examples the match is always within the leftmost n characters, if that 's always the case then with your data starting at X2 try this formula in Y2 copied down

=LOOKUP(9.9E+307,MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10&"*",X2,0),Sheet1!B$1:B$10)

or if the match can be anywhere in the string

=LOOKUP(2^15,SEARCH(Sheet1!A$1:A$10,X2),Sheet1!B$1:B$10)

adjust ranges as required

You'll get #N/A if there's no match, although it's possible to adjust the formulas to show "Not found"....

Upvote 0
Krishna - thanks for the response but this doesn't quite get me there - the longer references on the data sheet are not unique and could be in any order / character length - therefore it doesnt help them to pull them back into the 'key' tab to then match to.

Barry - I don't understand the first bit of your formula - 9.9E+307 ? What does that little number do ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=LOOKUP(9.9E+307,MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10&"*",X2,0),Sheet1!B$1:B$10)

Barry - you a genius... I'm no Excel slouch but I just can't get my head around this formula... I don't get the little number at the start and everything seems the wrong way 'round. I'd be grateful if you explain this little gem...
Also - I'm not sure why it fails if I extend the raise to the 'key' tab beyond the end of the populated range (ie. to include blank cells)
thanks mate.

Upvote 0
In fact there's no need for 9.9E+307, you can use 2, i.e.

=LOOKUP(2,MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10&"*",X2,0),Sheet1!B$1:B$10)

In the MATCH function

MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10&"*",X2,0)

each value in column A of your "key", with a wildcard appended is matched against X2, as X2 is clearly a single cell then there are only 2 possible results, 1 (when there's a match) or #N/A (when there isn't), so if A3 matches you get this array

{#N/A;#N/A;1;#N/A;#N/A;#N/A;#N/A;#N/A;#N/A;#N/A}

When you lookup 2 in such an array, because 2 is always greater than any number in the array, it matches with the last numeric value, i.e. the 1, and the corresponding value is returned from column B

Note that you shouldn't have blanks in the key range otherwise you might get erroneous results

Upvote 0
.....and if you want it to work with blanks in the key range you can use this version

=LOOKUP(2,1/MATCH(Sheet1!A$1:A$10&"*",X2,0)/(Sheet1!A$1:A$10<>""),Sheet1!B$1:B$10)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Barry - genius...
Is there anyway to ignore blank values so I don't have to maintain the range in case it grows on the key ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenmaldonado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back