Update status in cell based on response in other cell

Shp1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

I am trying to get a cell to say "complete" or "not complete" based on yes or no answers provided in a form (cells b3:b5 and cells b8:b10 for arguments sake).

I was trying to do the formula with colours instead of words as I have conditional formatted the section headings in the form to green when all of the answers are answered yes but understand excel wouldn't be able to support this so trying to formulate with the responses across the entire form.

Does anyone know of a formula that could help?

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
You can use COUNTIF or COUNTIFS formulas to count the number of "yes" cells.
You can use this formula in either Conditional Formatting or a normal Excel function, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(B3:B5,"yes")=3,"complete","not complete")

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4,

This is the error I'm getting when trying to apply it across the many cells in the form:

1712744601129.png

Upvote 0
That is not a valid formula. The COUNTIF function only has 2 arguments (it has exactly ONE argument for the range).
The COUNTIF and COUNTIFS formulas only support continuous ranges. So you would have to do something structured like this:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B7,"yes")+COUNTIF(B10,"yes")+COUNTIF(B13:B14,"yes")+...+COUNTIF(B47:B54,"yes")=31,"complete","not complete")
(note the "..." is for you to continue the pattern of adding more COUNTIF functions for the other ranges)

However, if the cells in column B you re NOT checking (i.e. B8, B9, etc), will NEVER have "yes" in them, then you don't need to break your range apart and could just do something like:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B54,"yes")=31,"complete","not complete")
It does not hurt to include those other cells if they will never have "yes" in them.

Upvote 0
Solution
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help!

Upvote 0
Hey Joe4, sorry but I have one more question.. if I wanted to change the formula so that it accepted a response of Yes and N/A to mark the form as complete then how should I change the formula?

Upvote 0
Hey Joe4, sorry but I have one more question.. if I wanted to change the formula so that it accepted a response of Yes and N/A to mark the form as complete then how should I change the formula?
Try something like this:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B54,"yes")+COUNTIF(B4:B54,"N/A")=31,"complete","not complete")

Upvote 0
So, I've amended it but it doesn't seem to work for some reason - apologies but can you see where I might be going wrong with it?
1712832717347.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back