Upgrade to Excel 2007

Domski

Hi,

Excel 2007 has been about for some time now and I've still to get my hands on it. The main reason for this is we won't be getting it at work for at least another 12 months and I'm finding it hard to justify the cost for what little use I would get out of the additional features at home.

I just wondered what other Mr Excel'ers thought of the new features after using them for a while and at what stage of the upgrade process they were at.

Dom

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Upgraded a while back, but not exclusively. I have come across some compatibility issues and I need to have both old and new versions installed. My workhorse PC has Windows Vista / Office 2007 with Windows XP / Office 2003 running on Virtual PC, and I'm happy with that.

Denis

Upvote 0
Howdy Denis (sorry Dom for the aside) - do you have full connectivity between the versions eg if you try and connect xl2003 on your Virtual PC with Access 2007 on your native Vista? Can you connect from the virtual PC to webdata too?

Upvote 0
Domski,

I think you left off what would probably be a high vote-getter:
"Would like to give it a go, but my company's IS group has yet to approve it."

Upvote 0
Greg,

Point taken. I guess I thought "I've no intention of upgrading for the time being" would cover that. It's the case for myself to be honest.

You could kind of go on forever with all the options if you weren't careful.

Dom

Upvote 0
...I guess I thought "I've no intention of upgrading for the time being" would cover that.
Indeed, that is the option I chose because it's the best fit. But "no intention" implies that it was my decision. When in fact "as far as one can discern, IS has no intention of approving XL2007 this decade" is closer to the mark.
You could kind of go on forever with all the options if you weren't careful.
Understood.

Upvote 0
"as far as one can discern, IS has no intention of approving XL2007 this decade" is closer to the mark.

:LOL: Know what you mean. Although you do realise it's 2008 now. I think you could be being a tad optimistic there if your place is anything like mine :eek:

Upvote 0
Hi Richard, I guess the ansewr is "mostly".

1. I don't bother trying to move between versions -- had some bad experiences early on. It appears that VPC likes to think of itself as a silo, so I ahve mapped my main work folder to VPC as an externnal drive and when I need to work in Office 2003, I pull the files into VPC and use them locally.

2. Connecting to the Web -- no problem. Just ran a web query to confirm, and it worked without hassles.

From what I've been told, VMWare is better at giving you a seamless connection between virtual and "real" machines. My brother uses it for a dual Linux / XP system and can copy and paste between the two.

Denis

Upvote 0
I'm happy with Office XP, it's all I need.
2007 should be available for 20 euro for everybody who already has a previous version

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back