Using a hyperlink to place Todays Date in an adjacent cell

Nick Mill

Hello,
I am trying to make a series of checklists for fall/spring or other activities that would allow someone to click a hyper-link ( name of link will read "Done") and see Todays Date in the adjoing cell to the right, ( to indicate the date chore was accomplished). I have only very basic knowledge of Excel ( learning basic formulas and functions). I plan to learn more but do not have any knowledge of scripting or macros yet... I just can't figure it out yet..
I am working on 2 systems, both XP... one with Excel 2002, the other with Linux Open Office.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated...
Sincerly,
Nick Mill

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hello

If you fire the shortcut command Ctrl-; today's date will be put in the cell you are selecting. This requires no coding at all and will be easiest.

Upvote 0
Wigi,
Thank you so much ! It does help me, and perhaps I should have mentioned ( I appologize ) that this is a commercial type form. It is to make life easier for people. There is a "fall checklist" for people doing fall chores. When they are done they simply click the link "Done" and I'm hoping I can get that date in the adjoing, or even same cell.
I am very gratefull for any help any one can give.
Sincerely,
Nick Mill

Upvote 0
Wigi, Thank you so much ! It does help me, and perhaps I should have mentioned ( I appologize for that) that this is a commercial type form. It is to make life easier for people. There is a "fall checklist" for people doing fall chores. When they are done they simply click the link "Done" and I'm hoping I can get that date in the adjoing, or even same cell.
I am very gratefull for any help you or anyone else can give.
Sincerely ,

Upvote 0
If you work with a command button (or similar), you could have code like this to put the time in the cell to the right of the active cell:

Code:
Sub Done_Time()

Selection.Cells(1).Offset(, 1).Value = Now

End Sub

This code goes in a normal module.

If you would want to execute code when the user clicks any hyperlink, you can use this event:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)

Done_Time

End Sub

This code should be put in the sheet's code module: right-click the tab at the bottom of the screen, show the VBA code, and paste this code. Close the VBA programming environment. Instead of executing the code contained in the macro Done_Time, you can have other code if you want.

Upvote 0
Wigi,
Thank you so much for your time and effort...
I will work on this.. and I just started a Macro Tutor program from Microsoft.
Thank you again !
Nick :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back