Using countif but not including duplicates

thedrumtutor

Hi Everyone, First time posting and an excel novice here. I have entered the following formula to add up a list of data. =COUNTIF(B7:B100,"*") This doesn't include gaps with blank cells and only gives me the total number of cells that contain text. However, some of the text is duplicated and I only want to count the total number of unique entries in the list. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers, Chris

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi,

Try this.......... Took me a while to figure out because of the blank cells, but hopefully this will be what you're looking for. Please note that this formula must be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter or it will not work! If done correctly, you will see { } brackets appear automatically around the formula.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IFERROR(MATCH(B9:B19,B9:B19,0),0),IFERROR(MATCH(B9:B19,B9:B19,0),0))>0,1,0))-1

Just change the range from B9:B19 to whatever your list range is.........

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0
Use a helpcolumn with the formula: countif($B$2:$b2,$b2) and drag down. If you get the value 2 or more you have duplicated values. If your using pivot table you can select this item to in- or exclude this values.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Just had a think and you could also use this.........Which is a bit shorter (Still needs Ctrl + Shift + Enter for it to work)

=SUM(IFERROR(1/COUNTIF(A10:A16,A10:A16),0))

Upvote 0
also below one can try ( use Ctrl + Shift + Enter )

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(B7:B100)>0,MATCH(B7:B100,B7:B100,0),""),IF(LEN(B7:B100)>0,MATCH(B7:B100,B7:B100,0),""))>0,1))

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone, First time posting and an excel novice here. I have entered the following formula to add up a list of data. =COUNTIF(B7:B100,"*") This doesn't include gaps with blank cells and only gives me the total number of cells that contain text. However, some of the text is duplicated and I only want to count the total number of unique entries in the list. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers, Chris

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B7:B100<>"",MATCH("~"&B7:B100,B7:B100&"",0)),ROW(B7:B100)-ROW(B7)+1),1))

is faster and not affected by the presence of blank cells, etc.

If there are no special meaning chars around the entries, the "~"& and &"" bits can be removed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back