Using COUNTIF(s) function with two dynamic named ranges set equal to each other as criteria

mcavallod

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I really need some help! Currently I have an IF function like this: IF(b4=f4,1,0) then a countif(results,"=1") where results is a dynamic named range of the results of the if function. I have to drag down the if formula for the entire column of data (b5=f5,b6=f6,etc.), forming a mess of ones and zeros in my sheet. I was wondering if there is a way to do all of this in one step. I tried to do many different commands (IF and COUNTIF) involving using a dynamic named range of all of the b column and a dynamic named range of the f column set equal to each other in the criteria part of the functions, but this just won't work. Does anyone have any insights into a way I can do this in one step? Thank you so much!

Mike

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Does this work for you?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B4:B100=F4:F100),--(B4:B100<>""))

Upvote 0
Scott,

Thanks much for your help and prompt response! The formula you provided works beautifully. Would the formula work if I provided dynamic named ranges for the columns instead of the explicit ranges like shown above? I tried to put in my named ranges and I came up with an N/A error. Could this be because I defined my ranges incorrectly? Thanks again you've been very helpful!

Mike

Upvote 0
Yes they are. However, I found that the way you defined the range is sufficient for my purposes, so I will continue to use the function that way. Thanks again for all your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronnyf85

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back