Using excel as a display screen for a game

Towelmonkey

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
tl;dr I would like to know:

1. Just how fast/slow is Excel at updating colours and values of hundreds of cells at once? What is causing the disproportionate results in my experiment?

2. Is there any way to speed this process up, so that it is feasible to turn Excel into a pixel display?

3. Are there any libraries/references that I can use to create standalone windows and do stuff with them, possibly through Shell commands?

I am a beginner programmer currently using VBA to write a tetris game in Excel. (Please don't ask me to switch to another language - there is a work-related reason why I have to use VBA) Currently, every cell in my sheet is also a cell of each tetris piece, meaning I only have a 10×24 range of cells to worry about. I was inspired by another excel game, "Dave vs. Ziggy", which is a fully functional first-person shooter that is able to run at 15FPS on an approximately 100×60 "screen". (You can google it online.)

I have been experimenting with "upgrading" my game "screen" to a higher "resolution" (320×135 cells). I tested the speed at which Excel can colour in a diagonal-running pattern of the 16 QBColours, using a For loop and Select Case to add cells one by one to one of 16 ranges based on their colours.

I got the following results:

- a 20×20 range takes 0.03125s

- a 40×40 range takes 0.5625s

- a 60×60 range takes around 3s

- an 80×80 range takes more than 15s

As can be seen, the increase is highly disproportionate.

- four 20×20 ranges take 0.12s, as expected

- nine 20×20 ranges take 0.3s, slightly higher than expected

- sixteen 20×20 ranges take 0.7s, even higher than expected

The best result I could get for the whole board is to colour twenty-five 64×35 ranges, which takes around 1.1s (i.e. the FPS of my game would be around 0.9). In comparison, my current 10×24 screen takes 0.03125s to run each game loop (for an FPS of 30). However, the game is extremely barebones...

I tried decrypting the code in Dave vs. Ziggy. The programmer used a larger colour palette (around 50 colours IIRC), and used a similar method in his code, except he seemed to fill in columns of cells with the same colours first. (The code is extremely dense D: ) He was somehow able to achieve a stunning 15FPS.

I would appreciate if some VBA pros here could take the time to explain to me how all this works, and why Excel seems to be so slow graphically. I have also noticed that, even after doing a Range.Clear, Excel lags whenever I switch back to the "game screen" from another worksheet, presumably because there are so many cells being displayed at once - although why would it lag if all the cells are empty?

Finally, I would really appreciate if some VBA guru could answer the 3rd question above about libraries. My motivation for "upgrading" the game screen is to enable cool visual effects (like explosions every time the player scores a line clear) and animations (like a moving background as the game is being played, much like in Tetris Effect). I know that C# handles such things relatively efficiently, and I also read somewhere that the Excel application itself slows VBA down by a bit, so I would love it if there are any built-in libraries that could allow me to bypass Excel entirely.

Thank you all! :)

P.S. I would also love to know if VBA code has a "unit" of time. I have only ever seen multiples of 0.015625s when running my code.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
First of all, the obvious. Excel is not built for this. That being said, this is a great concept. Excel is great at doing simple calculation and formulas but as the formulas get longer and more advanced, the speed slows greatly. Also, it looks like you are on an older version of excel. This is another big issue. With Excel 365, they rebuilt the backend and excel calculates much faster now especially with the new formulas like xlookup. The other issue is when you get into celling coloring especially with conditional formatting, Excel is slow at processing this. I would guess, if you update to Excel 365 and made sure you VBA code is slimmed down as much as possible, you could get running ok at the best. Also, the large cell range you use, the lag will get exponentially greater. That's all I have for you. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! FYI the part about Excel calculations doesn't seem incredibly relevant to my project, because my project is entirely in VBA and does not contain a single Excel formula (no =SUM, =VLOOKUP, etc.). The only part where Excel becomes involved is in the updating of cell colours and values using Cells(,).Value2 and Range.Interior.Color VBA commands.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back