Using Excel To Manage Inventory at a Production Yard Over Time

JakeH

Hello,
First off I should mention that I am a relatively novice Excel user; I can use IF statements and other formulas or formatting but I have no experience with advanced tools such as Macros.

I manage inventory at a manufacturing facility, meaning I coordinate where items are located in our facility and how they are moved with various pieces of equipment. I have a spreadsheet that starts with a Daily Inventory Moving Plan that I fill out, has a daily moving schedule for each piece of equipment, and has a map of our facility that uses excel cells as storage positions. Everything references the Daily Inventory Moving Plan.

So for instance todays Daily Inventory Moving Plan could be to move Item#1 from A1 to B1 (on the facility excel map) using Forklift#1, Item#2 from A2 to B2 using Forklift#2, Item#3 from A3 to B3 using Forklift#1, and Item#4 from A4 to B4 using Forklift#2. Forklift#1 operator has his own schedule that says move Item #1 from A1 to B1, and once he completes that it tell him to move Item#3 from A3 to B3. Same for Forklift#2 operator. And my map always shows the current position of every item based on the input of each operator, so in this case at the start of shift Items 1-4 are in A1:A4 and by the end of shift they are in B1:B4.

What I need help with is a way to take former moves and 1) use them as a baseline for todays moves without a ton of maintenance, and 2) automatically record past moves in a seperate sheet so I can track everywhere one particular item has gone. So if tomorrow we move Item#1 to C1, at the start of shift I want it to automatically show up on the map in B1 and by the end of shift it should show on the map in C1, and also I should have a record that says Item#1 went from A1 to B1 to C1.

Is there a simple way to accomplish this using formulas or macros?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back