using formulas on pasted data

NotExcelMaster

For my work I'm using reports which are displayed in Excell format in IE window. There is no export or save button, so what i have to do is copy and paste.

When i try to create some formulas for one of the columns(e.g. SUM()) i get zero. This is because for some reason I am unable to format cells. Even though I change column data to number instead of general, no changes are visible (for example i change to number with 2 decimal places)untill I click on a cell and press F2(edit). Only then formula starts to work. Those cells are not locked.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
How are you copying and pasting?

Upvote 0
NotExcelMaster said:
For my work I'm using reports which are displayed in Excell format in IE window. There is no export or save button, so what i have to do is copy and paste.

When i try to create some formulas for one of the columns(e.g. SUM()) i get zero. This is because for some reason I am unable to format cells. Even though I change column data to number instead of general, no changes are visible (for example i change to number with 2 decimal places)untill I click on a cell and press F2(edit). Only then formula starts to work. Those cells are not locked.

Any thoughts?

Download ASAP Utilities and run it on the data area to clean it up for excessive spaces and other chars like 160.

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:
Download ASAP Utilities and run it on the data area to clean it up for excessive spaces and other chars like 160.

I installed ASAP and it is so cool. I never knew it existed.

As for the problem; it was fixed when used Convert "textnumbers" to numbers. Worked like magic.
For some reason Excel's original "Format cell" doesn't do all the work.

Thanks for your help. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back