Using Multiple offset and match functions

Darryb

Good day everyone.

I'm newer into the excel formulas and I've run up against a scenario I just cant seem to beat.

Ive got an excel file containing two separate workbooks; 'Fastener Calculator' and 'Fasteners'.

'Fastener Calculator' contains a series of look-ups and formulas to auto populate fields with information found on 'Fasteners'

The cell that is really screwing me up is supposed to read a cell value on 'Fastener Calculator' and use that information to look up a value on 'Fasteners' using, what I assume should be, a combination of the offset and match functions.

I thought I had the thing working, but then I realized that it was only matching the first like value in a long list of numbers. To put it more clearly, I am trying to auto generate the Minor Diameter of a screw based on the threads per inch, however; as a result of the fineness or coarseness of the thread you can have the same threads per inch over a variety of different screws. So instead of displaying the accurate minor diameter its locating the first instance of the required threads per inch and providing that value.

Ive tried to attack this a few different ways and they have all been unsuccessful. I think the solution involves isolating a specific range when doing the match function.

For those interested in attacking this problem I'll lay out the thought process...

The user selects the appropriate fastener via a drop down box, then the threads per inch via the adjacent drop down box. Between 1 and 3 options are available based on the fastener selected via =OFFSET(fASTENERS!A7, MATCH(C12,fASTENERS!A7:A108, 0)-1,2,3,1), this is where the real issues lies because of the options. This means that in the "fasteners' workbook contains one merged cell (originally three vertical cells) containing 'Major Diameter' (a constant regardless of threads per inch), and three vertical adjacent cells with threads per inch (TPI), and adjacent each TPI is the highly sought after 'Minor Diameter'.

This is the formula that provides an erroneous result, but a result none the less...

=OFFSET(fASTENERS!C7, MATCH(H12,OFFSET(fASTENERS!A7, MATCH(C12,fASTENERS!A7:A108, 0)-1,2,3,1), 0),1,1,1) <-- as you can see I attempted to narrow the range of for the match function, but for some reason this only pulls the very first minor diameter on the list, not even associated with the TPI, the first minor diameter in general.

This one has me beat, so I'm hoping we have an excel genius out there who can help me out.

Here is the link to my file in drop box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyxfo8k74jvic3k/Screw Chart.xlsx

Oh, by the way, on the 'Fastener Calculator' tab the "Fastener Quantity" is not yet linked to anything, it can be disregarded, and the gibberish to the right is just me messing around with various formulas.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi, in Fastener Calculator cell H18 type =IFERROR(INDEX(fASTENERS!D8:D110,MATCH(H12,IF(fASTENERS!$A$8:$A$110=C12,fASTENERS!$C$8:$C$110),0)),"no match") Ctrl + Shift + Enter, not just enter on a PC or Command + Return on a MAC.
Would that work for you or is this not what you needed?

Upvote 0
Hi, in Fastener Calculator cell H18 type =IFERROR(INDEX(fASTENERS!D8:D110,MATCH(H12,IF(fASTENERS!$A$8:$A$110=C12,fASTENERS!$C$8:$C$110),0)),"no match") Ctrl + Shift + Enter, not just enter on a PC or Command + Return on a MAC.
Would that work for you or is this not what you needed?

I couldn't get that one to work actually, it was returning "No Match"... I did actually get a response from another board though. Check out this monster.

'=INDEX(INDEX(fASTENERS!$D$8:$D$110,MATCH(C12,fASTENERS!$A$8:$A$110,0),0):fASTENERS!$D$110,MATCH(H12,INDEX(fASTENERS!$C$8:$C$110,MATCH(C12,fASTENERS!$A$8:$A$110,0)):fASTENERS!$C$110,0))

Works like a dream, though it took me some time to figure out why.

Upvote 0
yes I overlooked the fact that some cell are merged...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back