Using SUMIFS with multiple OR criteria accessed by cell values.

Chaves107

Hi,

I am trying to calculate totals from a column based on multiple criteria. But these criteria are randomly generated each time for the purpose of what I'm doing, so I am using cell values (A10, B10, etc) rather than a number or text string.

So, there are multiple random outputs from a column range and I want to capture the corresponding number to those random outputs.

I have tried SUMIFS with multiple criteria but that is AND rather than OR and produces a result of 0.
I have tried using {} to contain multiple OR criteria but it doesn't appear to work for cell values, only text or numbers.
I have tried lots of additions SUMIF + SUMIF, etc, which works but in my actual spreadsheet the equation is 486 characters long (and there are more than one number column, so lots of these) so I want to try and avoid this if possible.

I've been trying different options using a simple spreadsheet, where outputs in cells below in A8 and B8 could be "Joe" and "David" to represent the random outputs. In this example I would be looking for 5 as an answer (2+3).

Names
Tennis Rackets
Sid
Terry
Joe
Billy
David

<tbody>
</tbody>

An example of a formula I tried: =SUM(SUMIFS(B2:B6,A2:A6,{A8,B8}))

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I was thinking your formula was close but would require the use of sumproduct and the criteria would just be the cell references.

C1 =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(B2:B6,A2:A6,D1:E1))

where D1 and E1 contain your criteria

A
B
C
D
E
Names</SPAN>
Tennis Rackets</SPAN>
5</SPAN>
joe</SPAN>
david</SPAN>
Sid</SPAN>
4</SPAN>
Terry</SPAN>
1</SPAN>
Joe</SPAN>
2</SPAN>
Billy</SPAN>
1</SPAN>
David</SPAN>
3</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian. It works! So, as long as the criteria cell values are an array it calculates it. I'll tweak my spreadsheet so that I can do this. Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Weazel. I tried it, and you're right. I was calculating individual cells separating them with commas, but using an array, Excel doesn't have a problem with it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eva146

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back