Using the AutoFilter/Custom Filter function in Excel

davey11372

Board Regular
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdevray1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I am trying to use the AutoFilter/Custom function in Excel (it is available under the Data Menu). It offers me two conditions/criteria that I can apply using and/or. For eg:
<o:p> </o:p>
Filter:
does not begin with - 3
and / or
does not begin with - 9.
I want to add a third 'and' criteria .. is it possible, and if so, how?
The column that I am trying to filter has numbers formatted as text.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hello Davey,

use a helpcolumn with formula for filtering and filter for TRUE, here for textvalues not beginning with 3, 6 and 9:
Excel Workbook
AB
1Value1Helpcolumn
26897FALSE
37653TRUE
4323FALSE
515673TRUE
69681FALSE
7891TRUE
Sheet

Formula of B2 can be copied down.

Upvote 0
Thank you Beate. Appreciate your help.

I would like to know if I could take the following approach, and if yes, how/what code to write.

I am currently using the following script/macro for the custom filter function.
Sub newFilterPaste2c()
'
' newFilterPaste2c Macro
' Macro recorded 1/30/2010 by devray
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+z
'
Columns("J:J").Select
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>3*", Operator:=xlAnd, _
Criteria2:="<>9*"

Range("K2:K31501").Select
Selection.copy
End Sub
......................................................................................
The line that is highlighted in blue, is it possible to include another criteria, for eg:

Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>3*", Operator:=xlAnd, _
Criteria2:="<>9*, Operator:=xlAnd, Criteria3:="<>4*"

In fact, I am going to try it. But if the code needs to be something else, I would appreciate if someone can let me know. If it works, I will post so.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Thats right, autofilter only can handle 2 criterias. That's why I recommend a helpcolumn with formula as shown above.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion Lenze. I have not been able to make the Advanced Filter work for what I am trying to do. I am not sure if I am applying it correctly. May be you could explain the steps to follow. I will try it again though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back