Using VBA to search the web and extract elements

hyoung3

I am curious if anyone has collected any resources (or knows where I can find them) that detail how VBA searches and parses the web. I have read posts, visited microsoft's development resource center and read articles on how specific tasks may be accomplished using internet controls and Microsoft's HTML object library, but each of them do it a different way and don't explain the other elements that may be used for other tasks. While I am certain I will not use the majority of controls that are offered in the library, I would like to read a comprehensive description to know and understand what I could use should an issue or project arise that could utilize these elements. I also want to learn how and why the same task may be accomplished in different ways.

As a quick background, I consider myself an intermediate VBA programmer. I also know in general how to read and understand HTML (although I would not be able to recreate a page from a blank slate). I do not know how VBA processes web data, nor do I know how the reference library works or how to find out how to use elements from a resource in the reference library.

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back