Value Lookup in Folder of Excel Files

ecshvac

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am trying to create a spreadsheet that would look up values in multiple spreadsheets nested in multiple folders. We are trying to calculate the total value of projects we bid on. Each project we bid on has an Excel spreadsheet in the project's folder. What formula can I use to look up and return these values on a single spreadsheet instead of opening each project's Excel file and referencing the cell?

The same proposal template is used so the column letter and row number would be same except for the spreadsheet's title name.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Welcome to the Board!

I see that type of solution as being very cumbersome and hard to maintain (especially if dealing with nested folders), and probably will require VBA, unless you want to try to maintain it manually.
If it were me, I would probably look at moving everything over to a database program, like Microsoft Access, and storing all the data there.

Or alternatively, maybe include some VBA code that when you get these proposals back, it writes the data directly to your central tracking file as your add it your file directories.

Upvote 0
I didn't think the solution would be as simple as I hoped!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back