VBA array resizing for cell range covering 10 cells

joejackson123

Hi All, I have the following VBA script, which works for doing a series of somewhat random draws from a model, stores those values in an array, and then pastes the array into a sheet for graphing. Storing values from a single cell on each draw works fine, when I try to store an entire range of cells in the
Code:
curvearray
array variable, it throws an error. I'm 90% certain this has something to do with sizing/resizing of the array, but am fairly green with VBA and cribbed most of this code from online, so am not entirely sure. Any help is as always much appreciated, thank you!

Code:
[FONT=arial]Dim randa As Double[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Dim stdeva As Double[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Dim looprun As Double[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Dim arrayone() As Variant[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Dim arraytwo() As Variant[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Dim curvearray() As Variant[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]ReDim [/FONT][FONT=arial]arrayone[/FONT][FONT=arial](1 To 1)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ReDim [/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial] [/FONT][FONT=arial](1 To 1)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ReDim curvarray(1 To 10)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]stdeva = 1[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]a = Range("baseline").Value[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]For looprun = 1 To 100[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]randa = Rnd[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Range("baseline").Value = WorksheetFunction.NormInv([/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">[FONT=arial]randa, a, stdeva)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Application.Calculate[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]arrayone[/FONT][FONT=arial] [/FONT][FONT=arial](UBound(arrayone)) = Range("net").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ReDim Preserve [/FONT][FONT=arial]arrayone[/FONT][FONT=arial](1 To UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial] [/FONT][FONT=arial]arrayone[/FONT][FONT=arial]) + 1)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]arraytwo(UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial])) = Range("multi").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ReDim Preserve [/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial](1 To UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial]) + 1)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]curvearray(UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial]curvearray)) = Range("curve").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ReDim Preserve curvearray(1 To UBound(curvearray) + 1)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Next looprun[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Range("onepaste").Resize([/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">[FONT=arial]UBound(arrayone)) = Application.Transpose([/FONT][FONT=arial]arrayone[/FONT][FONT=arial])[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Range("twopaste").Resize([/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">[FONT=arial]UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial])) = Application.Transpose([/FONT][FONT=arial]arraytwo[/FONT][FONT=arial])[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Range("curvepast").Resize([/FONT]<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">[FONT=arial]UBound([/FONT][FONT=arial]curvearray[/FONT][FONT=arial])) = Application.Transpose([/FONT][FONT=arial]curvearray[/FONT][FONT=arial])[/FONT][FONT=arial] [/FONT]

[FONT=arial]End Sub[/FONT]

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Let's start by getting rid of those arrays altogether. Arrays are great when you know how many of any given thing you have. If you need an array of a dynamic size then that is called a "collection" or a "dictionary".

Read about collections here:
https://excelmacromastery.com/excel-vba-collections/

Here is an example using your code:
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub curves()
    Dim randa As Double
    Dim stdeva As Double

Dim looprun As Double
    Dim net As New Collection
    Dim multi As New Collection
    Dim curve As New Collection

stdeva = 1
    a = Range("baseline").Value

For looprun = 1 To 100

randa = Rnd

Range("baseline").Value = WorksheetFunction.NormInv(randa, a, stdeva)
        Application.Calculate

net.Add Range("net").Value
        multi.Add Range("multi").Value
        curve.Add Range("curve").Value

Next looprun

Range("onepaste").Resize(net.Count) = Application.Transpose(net)
    Range("twopaste").Resize(multi.Count) = Application.Transpose(multi)
    Range("curvepast").Resize(curve.Count) = Application.Transpose(curve)
End Sub

NOTE: I have no idea if this code will run because I don't really know what you are doing and it's based on named ranges on a sheet.

Upvote 0
I believe you could do something simpler like:

Code:
Range("onepaste").Value = Application.Transpose(Range("net").Value)

but again, I don't really know what you are doing.

Upvote 0
Hi HackSlash, thanks very much for your response. I'm not familiar with collections so this is really interesting, and I'm going to look at the link you sent now.

On first run of the script you sent, it returned
Code:
Run-time error '1004' - Application-defined or object-defined error
, starting at the
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Range("onepaste").Resize(net.Count) = Application.Transpose(net)[/COLOR]
line. The named cell onepaste is just a single cell, net is also a single cell. If you have any insight into that error, please let me know, otherwise thanks very much for your response!

Upvote 0
Apologies, the sheet itself cycles through an economic model by altering the values of a single cell (baseline).

The values stored in the array (or collections) are different values returned from cells in the sheet (or in the case of the curvearray, from a 10 column/single row range). The NormInv function is just to get a quasi-random number in the Range("baseline").

The arrays are pasted into a blank sheet, which I'm then going to use for graphing and visualizing how the values turned out.

So arrayone is a single column array with 100 rows/draws, arraytwo the same thing, and curvearray a 10 column array with 100 rows/draws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't need arrays or collections to copy cells from one sheet to another. Just do it. You can transpose one set if it's not aligned with the others. All that can be done directly. You should use fully qualified references to do so. I can't tell you what those would be without seeing the sheet but the pattern is like this:

Code:
Workbooks("destinationWorkbook").Sheets("destinSheet").Range("destinationRange").Value = Workbooks("sourceWorkBook").Sheets("sourceSheet").Range("sourceRange").Value 
' This one will transpose:
Workbooks("destinationWorkbook").Sheets("destinSheet").Range("destinationRange").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Workbooks("sourceWorkBook").Sheets("sourceSheet").Range("sourceRange").Value)

OR you can use copy\paste (Might be easier)
Code:
[COLOR=#ED1313]Public[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ED1313]Sub[/COLOR] CopyAndPasteSpecial() 
  [COLOR=#ED1313]Dim[/COLOR] sourceRange [COLOR=#ED1313]As[/COLOR] Excel.Range 
  [COLOR=#ED1313]Dim[/COLOR] targetRange [COLOR=#ED1313]As[/COLOR] Excel.Range 
  [COLOR=#ED1313]Set[/COLOR] sourceRange = ActiveSheet.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(5, 1)) 
  [COLOR=#ED1313]Set[/COLOR] targetRange = ActiveSheet.Cells(7, 1) 
  sourceRange.Copy 
  targetRange.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=[COLOR=#ED1313]False[/COLOR], Transpose:=[COLOR=#ED1313]True[/COLOR] 
[COLOR=#ED1313]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ED1313]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back