VBA copy and paste from random sheet into specific workbook

oliviar

Board Regular
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to get a macro to copy and paste columns A - E of whatever workbook I have open, open a specific workbook, and paste into that one.

I tried Copy, Open Workbook, Paste. But it loses the Copy in the process of opening the destination workbook.

Whats the way around this?

:eek:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
It shouldn't:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Macro1()<br>    ActiveSheet.Cells.Copy<br>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\Test.xls"<br>    ActiveSheet.Paste<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

HTH,

Upvote 0
Oh oh, I know where I am going wrong. I have to delete all the columns in the destination file.
THATS what kills the copy/paste right?

My code went:
Copy
Open
Delete
Paste (error!)

But if I go:
Copy
Open
Paste
Delete
... It will work?

:confused:

Upvote 0
Yeah, if you delete, you'll clear the clipboard.

Pasting over information can be problematic if your pasted data is smaller than the original, so I generally open the destination worbook, do my thing there, then reactivate the source, copy, then paste.

You can set a reference to the source workbook in code before you open the other with something like:

wbname = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Then you can activate it from the other without having an explicit reference to it, since it'll be variable.

Upvote 0
Could you give me an example of using that kind of variable name for workbooks?

To be really basic, how would I do a macro that went from origin to destination, copied A1, back to origin and pasted it?
:whistle:

Upvote 0
OK, here's a quick example you should be able to modify:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> foo()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wb1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, wb2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>        <br>         <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'  Set a reference to the source wb</SPAN><br>            wb1 = ActiveWorkbook.Name<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Open the destination wb</SPAN><br>            Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\Filename.xlsx"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set a reference to the destination wb</SPAN><br>            wb2 = ActiveWorkbook.Name<br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Delete stuff here</SPAN><br>                <br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Activate the source wb</SPAN><br>            Windows(wb1).Activate<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Copy the source data</SPAN><br>            ActiveSheet.Cells.Copy<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Activate the destination wb</SPAN><br>            Windows(wb2).Activate<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Paste from source</SPAN><br>            ActiveSheet.Paste<br>            <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back