VBA copy-paste efficiency

Gojira

Hi,

I want to copy the values from a non-contiguous vertically arranged range of data (a mixture of strings and currency) from a source workbook into a contiguous horizontally arranged dataset in a different workbook. I've gotten the following code so far, but is there a way to do it faster?

Code:
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("A" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B1").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("B" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B2").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("C" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B3").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("D" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B4").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("E" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B6").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("F" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B8").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("G" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B15").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("H" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B16").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("I" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B17").Value

Some of the source cells have formulae, so I only want the values.

When I run the macro it takes several seconds to process. I need to scale this up so it's looping through up to 100 separate source files and am trying to be as efficient as I can. Is there a different approach I should consider?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The way you are doing it is much more efficient than using Copy/Paste.
Try temporarily shutting of Screen Updating and Calculations, and see if that speeds things up:
Code:
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("A" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B1").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("B" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B2").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("C" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B3").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("D" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B4").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("E" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B6").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("F" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B8").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("G" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B15").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("H" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B16").Value
        wbDest.Sheets("Data").Range("I" & i).Value = wbSource.Sheets("Summary").Range("B17").Value

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Upvote 0
There is a way to do this which will be 500 to 1000 times faster and that is to use variant arrays
I have to say this so often on this forum that I have this paragraph ready to copy and paste:
One of the main reasons that Vba is slow is the time taken to access the worksheet from VBa is a relatively long time.
To speed up vba the easiest way is to minimise the number of accesses to the worksheet. What is interesting is that the time taken to access a single cell on the worksheet in vba is almost identical as the time taken to access a large range if it is done in one action.
So instead of writing a loop which loops down a range copying one row at a time which will take along time if you have got 50000 rows it is much quicker to load the 50000 lines into a variant array ( one worksheet access), then copy the lines to a variant array and then write the array back to the worksheet, ( one worksheet access for each search that you are doing),
I have a simple rule for fast VBA: NEVER ACCESS THE WORKSHEET IN A LOOP.

So to rewrite your code as it stands try this ( untested)

Code:
Dim outarr(1 To 1, 1 To 9) As Variant

wbSource.Activate
With Sheets("Summary")
lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
' load variant array with  variables
inarr = Range(.Cells(1, 2), .Cells(lastrow, 2))
End With
' copy to output array
outarr(1, 1) = inarr(1, 1)
outarr(1, 2) = inarr(1, 2)
outarr(1, 3) = inarr(1, 3)
outarr(1, 4) = inarr(1, 4)
outarr(1, 5) = inarr(1, 6)
outarr(1, 6) = inarr(1, 8)
outarr(1, 7) = inarr(1, 15)
outarr(1, 8) = inarr(1, 16)

wbSource.Activate
With Sheets("Date")
i = 1
'write out the output array
 Range(.Cells(i, 1), .Cells(i, 9)) = outarr
End With

I suspect that you have only given us part of the code ( because of "i" in the cells references) if this is the case you just need to define the outputarray to maximum size and reference it by i as you write in the loop and then only write it out to the worksheet once at the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back