VBA for Geomean of Array within Array

Drew4

Hello,
Would appreciate any help on a small issue.

I have an array of arrays [ArrOfArr(1 to 7, 1 to 2)] where each element in the array is another array containing non-negative double type numbers [ie arr1(1 to x), arr2(1 to y)]. I am trying to find the geomean of each array within the array of arrays.
- I have a geoval variable of type double that is intended to capture the geomean of each individual array within the ArrOfArr group.
- My understanding from the MSDN website is that the GEOMEAN function should work with an array (verbatim from MSDN: "You can also use a single array or a reference to an array instead of arguments separated by commas.")

Currently my macro sticks on the following line:

geoval = Application.worksheetfunction.geomean(ArrOfArr(1,1))

Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance /d4

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
It depends on how your Array-of-Arrays is dimensioned. I suspect you have a one dimensional array of one dimentional arrays.

This syntax references one element in a two dimensional array.
ArrOfArr(1,1)

Try this to reference one element in a one dimensional array. Which, as you say, is another array.
ArrOfArr(1)

Also, your array may or may not be zero-based e.g. the first element may be ArrOfArr(0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AlphaFrog, Thanks for replying. My ArrOfArr is actually a 2 dimensional array [ArrOfArr(1 to 7,1 to 2)]. I know the array is populated properly because when I access the values, ie, "ArrOfArr(1,1)(3)" the correct values are extracted. Also when I use the worksheet function with the raw values separated by commas the geomean function works. For example:

ArrOfArr(1,1) contains arr1 with the values (0.233,0.448, 0.58897).

"application.worksheetfunction.geomean(0.233,0.448, 0.58897)" works
"application.worksheetfunction.geomean(ArrOfArr(1,1))" does not work

Thanks
Regards/d4

Upvote 0
This test seems to work.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Macro1()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] ArrOfArr(1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] 7, 1 To 2)

ArrOfArr(1, 1) = Array(0.233, 0.448, 0.58897)

x = Application.WorksheetFunction.GeoMean(ArrOfArr(1, 1))

[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

So I suspect the problem has to do with how the arrays are defined or populated.

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog, thank you - went back through my calculations and source data - had "1.09E-4" in one of my cells that populated as a "1.09E-4" string instead of 0.0001086. Thank you for pointing me back to my data - got used to seeing a column full of 'E' notation and didn't occur to me that one of those was a string. Think some error checking will be useful in the future. Haven't been able to crack this since yesterday morning. Appreciate your generosity with your time. Regards, d4

Upvote 0
I too considered the string theory after I posted. Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back