VBA goalseek on many columns of data

pingpong777

hello. i have a corkscrew set up that stretches/repeats over 120 columns of data. i created a basic macro in VBA using the following syntax

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+g
'
Range("g68").GoalSeek Goal:=Range("g61"), ChangingCell:=Range("g63")
End Sub

the above solves for column G. being a corkscrew, when column G is solved, cell H61 changes, impacting the goalseek happening on column H, and the process repeats. in columns where the Row 61 value is 0, no calculation is necessary, but again, each value in Row 61 is dependent on on the calculations in the previous column.

what i would like to do is set up a single function that instructs excel to evaluate G61 and if G61>0, run the goalseek above, and if not, go to H61 and start again, all the way through column DV. it's important to go sequentially because eventually all remaining values in Row 61 will be 0, which is fine.

i had previously just copy pasted 120 lines to cover each column, but i have to repeat this process for several more 120-column corkscrews, and excel told me the procedure is too large. my hope is that i can cover each corkscrew with a single goalseek command with the logic described above, which will stay under excel's maximum procedure length.

all conversation and assistance are greatly appreciated. i'm sure this is a fairly quick fix, but i'm new to setting things up in VBA, so i'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the syntax and logic.

thanks,

pingpong777

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I am not entirely sure if this is what you are looking for, (I have actually never worked with goalseek before) but I hope this gets you closer.

Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
'
    For cols = 7 To ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.count                                                   ' Starts at 7 since that is column "G". You can change that if needed.
        If Cells(61, cols) <> "" Then
            Cells(68, cols).GoalSeek Goal:=Cells(61, cols), ChangingCell:=Cells(63, cols)
        End If
    Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
that's actually perfect! thank you!

on a related note: right now, there are quite a few identical corkscrews from top to bottom in the worksheet, each with the same structure, evenly spaced 21 rows apart. is there a way to make a relative reference to have this process repeat every 21 rows?

Upvote 0
Yeah, just add another loop to go through the rows as well as the columns.

Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
'
    Dim x As Integer
    x = 1                                                                                                                         ' Set x to the starting row value

Do While x < ActiveSheet.usedrange.Rows.Count
        For Cols = 7 To ActiveSheet.usedrange.Columns.Count                                                   ' Starts at 7 since that is column "G". You can change that if needed.
            If Cells(x, Cols) <> "" Then
                Cells(x + 7, Cols).GoalSeek Goal:=Cells(x, Cols), ChangingCell:=Cells(x + 2, Cols)
            End If
        Next

x = x + 21
    Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back