[VBA] Import CSV and split text based on custom delimiters or words

MartinS13X

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to import a CSV file into excel via VBA and have it split the text into several columns based on "standard"-delimiters such as "," and also split it at certain words appearing in the text.

Below is an (edited) excerpt of the csv file:
(The current file is about 700 lines, but will become longer)

06/01/2019,Supermarket - Visa Purchase - Receipt 148833 Date 05 Jan 2019 Card xxxx,,-301.07,180.13
06/01/2019,Random Store - Visa Purchase - Receipt 148832 Date 04 Jan 2019 Card xxxx,,-153.66,481.20
05/01/2019,Shell Petrol Station - Visa Purchase - Receipt 144494 Date 04 Jan 2019 Card xxxx,,-115.14,634.86
04/01/2019,Money Transfer - Deposit - Date 04 Jan 2019, ,750.00,,0

Obviously, splitting the text on the "," delimiter gives me the 5 columns but I'd like to split the description further. One would think splitting it on "-" would work, but of course there's always this exception that messes things up.

If I could split the description on the words "Date" and "Card" (and/or other keywords/delimiters) it would help me a lot. So it would (probably) look like this:

06/01/2019Supermarket - Visa Purchase - Receipt 1488305 Jan 2019xxxx-301.07180.13
06/01/2019Random store - Visa Purchase - Receipt 14883204 Jan 2019xxxx-153.66481.20
05/01/2019Shell Petrol Station - Visa Purchase - Receipt 14449404 Jan 2019xxxx-115.14634.86
04/01/2019Money Transfer - Deposit04 Jan 20197500.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks in advance... :)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Power Query Use MCode

Open Power Query/Get and Transform. Click on New Query. Make sure that your raw data is in a table and it is name Table1

Open blank query in the editor, launch Advanced Editor and paste in the following code.

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5", "Column1.6"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type date}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}, {"Column1.4", type number}, {"Column1.5", type number}, {"Column1.6", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Column1.2", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"Date"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Column1.2.1", "Column1.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Column1.2.1", type text}, {"Column1.2.2", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter2" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Column1.2.2", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"Card"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Column1.2.2.1", "Column1.2.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter2",{{"Column1.2.2.1", type date}, {"Column1.2.2.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type3",{"Column1.3", "Column1.6"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I probably should have mentioned I want to import the file from the hard disk...

Found this little piece of code during some internet sleuthing. It basically does what I want, only with one delimiter and way too slow.

Code:
Public FSO As New FileSystemObject
Sub Import_CSV()
Dim WrdArray() As String
Dim txtstrm As TextStream
Dim line As String
Dim clm As Long
Dim Rw As Long
Set txtstrm = FSO.OpenTextFile("D:\!Excel_Docs\!ING-Transactions\Transactions.csv")
Rw = 1
Do Until txtstrm.AtEndOfStream
  line = txtstrm.ReadLine
  clm = 1
  WrdArray() = Split(line, ",")
  For Each wrd In WrdArray()
    ActiveSheet.Cells(Rw, clm) = wrd
    clm = clm + 1
  Next wrd
  Rw = Rw + 1
Loop
txtstrm.Close
End Sub

Upvote 0
Power Query Use MCode

Open Power Query/Get and Transform. Click on New Query. Make sure that your raw data is in a table and it is name Table1

Open blank query in the editor, launch Advanced Editor and paste in the following code.

[...]

OMG.... How is it possible I had never heard of this before?? This is awesome.
Sorry for the slow reply. Had to play around with it a bit.

Should be able to make this work and more!! Will have revisit some other workbooks and simplify some stuff.

Upvote 0
Power Query Use MCode

[...]

I haven't even scratched the surface of what's possible with this power query thing but have already re-started my current project, basically putting a macro and files I've been using since 2012 in the bin.

Without going into a long description what I want to do, this is saving me so much time (mostly googling. lol)
Anyways, Thanks again. Big thumbs up!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back