VBA Issues related to user profiles

Ludwig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Background:
I was wondering whether to post this to the Sharepoint or Excel board but seeing it seems to somehow be a VBA corruption, decided to go with Excel.
An excel spreadsheet with VBA code is stored in Sharepoint 365, which may or may not be part of the cause.

The problem:
Users open this to add/update entries. Every now and then, VBA errors show up, which can be cleared by logging off and logging on - a symptom indicating VBA run-time corruption in some way.
However, very occasionally, the apparent errors cannot be cleared even by logoff/ logon (nor restarting the machine). This had me stumped for a while until I tried the following steps (which to me, whilst it "fixes" problem, it is a sledgehammer approach to crack the proverbial walnut) -
  1. Have user log off their machine. This will ensure there is a copy of the user profile on the networked server.
  2. Get someone with an Admin account to then *delete* the local copy of their user profile from the machine.
  3. Then the user can log back in and everything functions correctly once more .... until another "reset" becomes necessary. It's often weeks between these resets & we haven't been able to determine the trigger event/s for this, which makes this problem all the more frustrating.
The reason we tried this approach is that sometimes the spreadsheet will open in read-only mode with no way to get write mode back, even issue the VBA command in the immediate window to ChangeAccess to write. The only cure we have found so far to "fix" this is by doing the "delete user's local profile copy" from the machine ie the process detailed above.

The question:
What I'm looking for is where the corruption might be within their "profile". Is there a folder / file (even if marked hidden) that the logged on user can delete that will clear the apparent corruption (without an Admin doing anything ... it can take a while for an Admin to be available to do this :cry:). The user only has std rights, not Admin.
And as a byproduct, just maybe, this area might also be a "cure" for the other Sharepoint "read-only" issue as well :unsure:

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back