VBA multiple button to clear multiple ranges

APML

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all, I have a worksheet that I have broken down into 50 sections, within these sections I have various unprotected cells that I need to clear.

i.e In section 1, I need to clear the range I've called C_1 which refers to =Watch!XEQ11,Watch!XEV11,Watch!XEW11,Watch!XEY11,Watch!XEZ11,Watch!XEQ14,Watch!XET14,Watch!XEU14,Watch!XEV14,Watch!XEW14,Watch!XEX14,Watch!XEQ17,Watch!XEZ16,Watch!XEY18,Watch!XEZ18,Watch!XEW27,Watch!XEY27,Watch!XEW30,Watch!XEY30,Watch!XEQ32,Watch!XEQ34,Watch!XER34,Watch!XES34,Watch!XET34,Watch!XEU34

In section 2, I need to clear the range I've called C_2 which refers to
=Watch!A1,Watch!F1,Watch!G1,Watch!I1,Watch!J1,Watch!A4,Watch!D4,Watch!E4,Watch!F4,Watch!G4,Watch!H4,Watch!A7,Watch!J6,Watch!I8,Watch!J8,Watch!G17,Watch!I17,Watch!G20,Watch!I20,Watch!A22,Watch!A24,Watch!B24,Watch!C24,Watch!D24,Watch!E24

Etc, all the way up to 50. I will be using a form button to trigger the clear contents (so I'll have 50 button, 1 per section)

So my question is, do I need 50 separate VBA codes or can I have 1 vba that references the various buttons, .....am thinking something like if the button in C_1 is triggered then it would clear range C_1 contents

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Don't have Excel at the moment but maybe this way
VBA Code:
Sub MM1()
Dim r As Integer
 For r = 1 To 50
     Range("C_" & r).ClearContents
 Next r
End Sub
OR
VBA Code:
Sub MM2()
Dim nName As Name
    For Each nName In Names
        If InStr(1, nName.Name, "C_") > 0 Then
            nName.ClearContents
        End If
    Next nName
End Sub

Upvote 0
Firstly, thx for your help. I'm not very good at VBA, so pls excuse me if my question sounds silly,
How do I actually trigger the above?
i.e I create the above code but how does the button in say section 2 (which clears range C_2) actually trigger the VBA?

Upvote 0
Just assign the code to 1 button.
It will then do ALL Ranges in one run

Upvote 0
So you just want
VBA Code:
Sub C_1()
  Range("C_1").ClearContents
End Sub

Upvote 0
yes and the number in "C_??) needs to change for each one. As well as the name of the Sub.....Sub C_1()....Sub("C_2")), etc.
But why not simply put an input box in the code asking the user which range to clear....then you only need 1 button. AND 1 code
VBA Code:
Sub C_1()
ans = InputBox("Which Range do you wish to clear?")
  Range(ans).ClearContents
End Sub

Upvote 0
yes and the number in "C_??) needs to change for each one. As well as the name of the Sub.....Sub C_1()....Sub("C_2")), etc.
But why not simply put an input box in the code asking the user which range to clear....then you only need 1 button. AND 1 code
VBA Code:
Sub C_1()
ans = InputBox("Which Range do you wish to clear?")
  Range(ans).ClearContents
End Sub
thats a really great idea. Is there anyway that instead of inputing the named range it would bring up a pulldown list from which it could be chosen?

1665798845250.png

Upvote 0
Yep, you could use a ComboBox list, but with 50 items of very similar name, I can imagine you would possibly selct the wrong item !!!
Have a look here at creating combobox lists

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back