VBA: Multiplying Values Separted by Comma

ameya

Board Regular
Hi Everyone,

I've run into a little roadblock, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Right now, I have a few hundred cells, and within each cell, there are different number of values separated by commas. Each cell to the right of the cell has different values but the same exact number of values.

Ex: Cell A1 = 4,7,2,6.4 Cell B1 = 5,12,2,5
Cell A2 = 5,2 Cell B2 = 7,1

I want to multiply the values separated by commas together in column C. For instance, Cell C1 would equal 4*5+7*12+2*2+6.4*5.
I cannot use text to columns and then convert into numerical values because other data will be overwritten. I prefer using excel formulas, but if I have to use VBA that's fine too.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
<b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">C1</th><td style="text-align:left">=SUMPRODUCT(<font color="Blue">--TRIM(<font color="Red">MID(<font color="Green">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Purple">A1,",",REPT(<font color="Teal">" ",99</font>)</font>),ROW(<font color="Purple">INDIRECT(<font color="Teal">"1:" & LEN(<font color="#FF00FF">A1</font>)-LEN(<font color="#FF00FF">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Navy">A1,",",""</font>)</font>)+1</font>)</font>)*99-98,99</font>)</font>),--TRIM(<font color="Red">MID(<font color="Green">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Purple">B1,",",REPT(<font color="Teal">" ",99</font>)</font>),ROW(<font color="Purple">INDIRECT(<font color="Teal">"1:" & LEN(<font color="#FF00FF">B1</font>)-LEN(<font color="#FF00FF">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Navy">B1,",",""</font>)</font>)+1</font>)</font>)*99-98,99</font>)</font>)</font>)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table><br />

Excel 2013
ABC
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! You are seriously awesome!

One last question: If I wanted to add up the cells in B and Put that in D1, how would I do that?
D1 = 5 +12 + 2 +5

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Put this in D1...

Code:
=(MID(B1,1,1)+(MID(B1,3,2)+(MID(B1,6,1)+(MID(B1,8,1)))))

Upvote 0
Np.
Just remove the first argument of the SUMPRODUCT in the previous formula, so just keep the second argument

Thank you so much! You are seriously awesome!

One last question: If I wanted to add up the cells in B and Put that in D1, how would I do that?
D1 = 5 +12 + 2 +5

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back