VBA Problem: Autofilter criteria confuses text "Jan-13" (01/01/2013) with 13/01/2013

Phil Morris

Hello all,

I am suffering from a highly specific problem that I havent been able to find a viable answer for through the usual search engines. I am hoping someone here can help.

I am trying to autofilter a data set based on criteria that I parse from a Countifs formula. So the countif formula is as follows:

=Countifs(A:A,"Monday",B:B,"AM",.....)

This would then come up with an answer of say 6 matching rows. The macro is then supposed to filter column A for "Monday", column B for "AM" and so on, and hopefully return the 6 rows that the countifs counted.

I have managed all this except for in a specific scenario:

The countif formula is as follows:
=Countifs("A:A", "<>" & Curmon)

Where "Curmon" is a named range which holds the value "Jan-13" (numeric value for 01/01/2013 formatted as MMM-YY)

However in the middle of the code, I have to separate out the "<>" from the "Curmon" and evaluate each separately, and then combine them to be "<>Jan-13".

When I have done this, the filter treats the answer as "<> 13/01/2013" and as I dont have any results matching that criteria, returns all of my data.

I appologise for the awful look of my code, it is a work in progress, and I am sure pretty much every stage can be made more efficient but I wanted it working first. Here are the key parts:

Code:
For i = 1 To Range_Count
  Text = Range_Criteria(i, 2)
  If InStr(Text, "&") > 0 Then
    Pre_Text = Trim(Left(Text, InStr(Text, "&") - 1))
    Post_Text = Trim(Right(Text, Len(Text) - InStr(Text, "&")))
    If IsRangeName(Post_Text) Then
      Set Nm_Rng = ThisWorkbook.Names(Post_Text).RefersToRange
      Post_Text = Format(Nm_Rng.Value, Nm_Rng.NumberFormat)
    Else
      On Error GoTo Criteria_Not_Range1
      Set Nm_Rng = Range(Post_Text)
      If IsDate(Nm_Rng.Value) Then
        Post_Text = Format(Nm_Rng.Value, Nm_Rng.NumberFormat)
      Else
        Post_Text = Nm_Rng.Value
      End If
    End If
Continue_To_Next_Criteria1:
    Range_Criteria(i, 2) = Pre_Text & Post_Text
  End If
Next i

Range_Criteria(i,2) holds the Criteria element of each pairing within the Countifs formula.
IsRangeName is a function which checks if a string is a named range
All of the variables storing the data are string format, so pre_text, Post_Text and the array Range_Criteria are all strings.

Then at the end of the macro I loop using the following to filter the report, using in the problem example the string "<>Jan-13" for Criteria1.
Code:
ThisWorkbook.Names("Table_Start").RefersToRange.AutoFilter Field:=Field_Count, Criteria1:=Range_Criteria(i, 2), Operator:=xlFilterValues

Interestingly, the code works fine, if in the countif I use the string "<>Jan-13" directly. It is only when I calculate the string via VBA that the problem occurs. "<>" & "Jan-13" also does not work for the same reason.

I hope that makes sense to someone, appologies for the long post. Any questions, or more info on the code required, please fire away.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I do appologise, you're right. "<>Jan-13" also doesnt work. Filtering by "Jan-13" does give the right results, but adding in any qualifier like "<" or ">" makes it revert to checking against "13/01/2013". I must have got myself confused with all the different options I have been trying.

So yes, now the problem is that invariably when using a qualifier like "<" ">" and then a date, whether it is referenced by "<>Jan-13", '"<>" & Curmon' or '"<>" & $A$1', all result in converting the date from Jan-13 to 13/01/2013 when using the macro

Manually when just working directly with the autofilter: "Does not Equal" and then "Jan-13" works fine. - Edit: I have just noticed, when going back into the auto filter, it has converted it to 01/01/2013, however this is fine, as all my dates will start with 1st of the month. If there is a work around I could use where I picked up the date, and then forced it to be the first, that might work.

Edit2: Excel is very odd....Just tried a few things manually with the auto filter
Filtering "Equals" "Jan-13" - returns the right results
Filtering "Does not Equal" "Jan-13" returns the right results - but it converts it to "Does not equal" "01/01/2013" and correctly blocks the Jan-13 entries
However then trying to filter: "Equals" "01/01/2013" returns no results, as it is looking for the formatted text and cant find any matches.

Looks like I would need to treat criteria where it equals a date different to criteria where it doesnt equal a date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having been able to talk over the details above, I believe I have found a solution. Where the criteria is '"<>" & Curmon' or some variation thereof, I have changed the macro code to say:

Code:
If IsDate(Nm_Rng.Value) Then
    Post_Text = Format(Nm_Rng.Value, "MM/DD/YYYY")
Else
    Post_Text = Nm_Rng.Value
End If

This uses the dates in a format that the VBA recognises, and it sends the right results to the filter.

Hurrah.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatdoido

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back