VBA renaming my active x controls when transferred to a new computer!? Please help!

djamies1

Hi Forums,

I have just completed a long and tiresome VBA code and was excited to send the report out to my boss. However, when testing the file on a coworkers computer, I found that none of my active x controls are working!

On my coworkers computer (have tried with multiple coworkers) my active x controls are being renamed, so instead of having my original code name of ‘RealName’ it replaces it to ‘CheckBox4’. When I try to rename the check boxes back to their original name, I get an error message that says “Ambiguous Name Detected”.

It’s very frustrating finishing a file and having it not work on anyone else’s computer!

Failed Troubleshooting so far:

-Sending the file over e-mail

-Transferring the file via flash drive

-Renaming the check boxes

-Re classifying the original code (VBA) to match the new check box names (does nothing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I lose my mind!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
I am having the same problem. Here are some additional details of my instance. If I create a sheet with an ActiveX button, everything works fine. If I give that to a coworker, it works fine for them. If they save it and reopen it still works fine. However, if I take the file they saved and bring it back to my machine, it no longer works and the button has been renamed. It appears the button is being renamed on my machine but as a result of something on my coworkers machine.

Here is what I typed on another site regarding the issue

Symptoms:

Open an existing excel sheet that contains an ActiveX control.

Click the button and nothing happens (macro does not launch)

Investigation shows that the button name has changed from "BtnMacroLaunch" to "CommandButton3"

I open the file on other users machines and the button has NOT been renamed and it works correctly.

Environment:

The sheets that have this were last saved on another users machines, not mine. When I save a new spreadsheet with an ActiveX, this does not happen.

If another users opens and executes a sheet I created, then saves that sheet, when I open it again, the button is renamed

This has been a problem since mid Dec 2014 (approx). - which is why I think it is related to the common ActiveX issue.

The majority of my office coworkers (I think everyone but me) had the Dec Update done in Dec. My updates were turned off inadvertently by our IT department. All my coworkers also did the delete "forms.exd" workaround.

I suspected that since my machine had not gotten the updates, that was the cause of the issue. However, yesterday (Jan 19) I finally got my machine fixed and all the updates applied. I then did the the delete "forms.exd" workaround. Unfortunately, the buttons are still renaming.

This does not appear to be exactly the same as the other button rename problem. This is not appending a number to the back of a name, but resetting the name completely.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem. Here are some additional details of my instance. If I create a sheet with an ActiveX button, everything works fine. If I give that to a coworker, it works fine for them. If they save it and reopen it still works fine. However, if I take the file they saved and bring it back to my machine, it no longer works and the button has been renamed. It appears the button is being renamed on my machine but as a result of something on my coworkers machine.

Here is what I typed on another site regarding the issue

Symptoms:

Open an existing excel sheet that contains an ActiveX control.

Click the button and nothing happens (macro does not launch)

Investigation shows that the button name has changed from "BtnMacroLaunch" to "CommandButton3"

I open the file on other users machines and the button has NOT been renamed and it works correctly.

Environment:

The sheets that have this were last saved on another users machines, not mine. When I save a new spreadsheet with an ActiveX, this does not happen.

If another users opens and executes a sheet I created, then saves that sheet, when I open it again, the button is renamed

This has been a problem since mid Dec 2014 (approx). - which is why I think it is related to the common ActiveX issue.

The majority of my office coworkers (I think everyone but me) had the Dec Update done in Dec. My updates were turned off inadvertently by our IT department. All my coworkers also did the delete "forms.exd" workaround.

I suspected that since my machine had not gotten the updates, that was the cause of the issue. However, yesterday (Jan 19) I finally got my machine fixed and all the updates applied. I then did the the delete "forms.exd" workaround. Unfortunately, the buttons are still renaming.

This does not appear to be exactly the same as the other button rename problem. This is not appending a number to the back of a name, but resetting the name completely.

Your coworkers issue is identical to mine. Unfortunately I haven’t found a fix! If your coworker makes ANY edits to an excel file with active x controls they will be broken if he/she tries to send it out again.

They fixed the office update now, but anyone who downloaded the original corrupted update might be having this problem too. The forms.exd delete does not fix this.

Upvote 0
You said -
"They fixed the office update now, but anyone who downloaded the original corrupted update might be having this problem too. The forms.exd delete does not fix this."

This commenting is interesting to me. As I did not get the MS Updates till yesterday, I had a sneaky suspicion that MS may have deleted the Dec update that caused all the problems. Unfortunately, that means the majority of my office has the MS Dec update, while I do not have the Dec update (and won't get it as a result of MS pulling it back).

Have you tried contacting MS? I am working through my companies IT department to see if we have MS Support contract.

I believe this is the cause of my problem. Basically, MS now has two versions of excel floating around. They had a bad problem before, now they have a bad problem and a tremendous mess on their hands.

Upvote 0
You said -
"They fixed the office update now, but anyone who downloaded the original corrupted update might be having this problem too. The forms.exd delete does not fix this."

This commenting is interesting to me. As I did not get the MS Updates till yesterday, I had a sneaky suspicion that MS may have deleted the Dec update that caused all the problems. Unfortunately, that means the majority of my office has the MS Dec update, while I do not have the Dec update (and won't get it as a result of MS pulling it back).

Have you tried contacting MS? I am working through my companies IT department to see if we have MS Support contract.

I believe this is the cause of my problem. Basically, MS now has two versions of excel floating around. They had a bad problem before, now they have a bad problem and a tremendous mess on their hands.

It sounds to me like your computer is fine and your coworker is having the issue.
My issue is like your coworkers. There is only one other person in my office who downloaded the original update and had to fix it with the .exd delete. He does not have the same issue as me, HOWEVER he is the ONLY person who can access my active x controls without them being re-named.
He can also send out active x controls to me and the rest of the office with no issue. I’ve tried a lot of different methods to fix this with no success. My last resort would be re-imaging my computer, but I don’t use VBA enough to warrant that.

Best of luck! If you do figure out a solution, please post it back here!

Upvote 0
I've been having the same issue today where ActiveX controls worked on other machines but not mine due to the fact that the controls were being renamed when I opened the Workbook on my machine. It didn't seem to matter where the file itself was located. Here's the link that fixed this issue for me: </title> <link href="//az623152.vo.msecnd.net/cdnresources/1.51/content/smccss.css" rel="stylesheet" /> <link href="//az623152.vo.msecnd.net/cdnresources/1.51/content/pdf/css/pdf.dgps-1.0.0.css" rel="stylesheet" /> <script src="//ajax.aspnetcdn.com/a

I had hidden update KB2553154 back in December because it had clobbered my ActiveX controls - I couldn't even click on them. I found that article above and followed the instructions to re-apply the update then I ran the second 'Fix it' (51031) - the one that needs to be run by an Admin - because the first one didn't seem to work.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same issue today where ActiveX controls worked on other machines but not mine due to the fact that the controls were being renamed when I opened the Workbook on my machine. It didn't seem to matter where the file itself was located. Here's the link that fixed this issue for me: <link href="//az623152.vo.msecnd.net/cdnresources/1.51/content/smccss.css" rel="stylesheet"> <link href="//az623152.vo.msecnd.net/cdnresources/1.51/content/pdf/css/pdf.dgps-1.0.0.css" rel="stylesheet"> ******** src="//ajax.aspnetcdn.com/a

I had hidden update KB2553154 back in December because it had clobbered my ActiveX controls - I couldn't even click on them. I found that article above and followed the instructions to re-apply the update then I ran the second 'Fix it' (51031) - the one that needs to be run by an Admin - because the first one didn't seem to work.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the post.

My issue is definitely “Symptom 3” from your link. However, when I try to install the security update it says “The expected version of the product was not found on the system”.
**I’ve tried all the download options**

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeshw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back