VBA run-time error 1004 when double-clicking values in non-visible sheet

ave10

Board Regular
In a workbook I have, I would like ALL sheets, except the sheet being used, to be hidden at all times.

In the 'ThisWorkbook' Object I have applied this code:
Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object)
  Dim MySh As Worksheet

For Each MySh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
      If MySh.Name <> Sh.Name Then MySh.Visible = 0
  Next MySh
End Sub

On multiple sheets within my workbook, I am able to double-click values in the A Column and the values being double-clicked, populate the C column in my main sheet/form in a sheet called "JE". Right now, when I try to double-click on those values in the A column, the message i get it, "Method 'Visible' of object '_Worksheet' failed" and the "...If MySh.Name <> Sh.Name Then MySh.Visible = 0" is highlighted as the issue.

When I double-click on a value in a separate sheet that is meant to populate the main sheet as well as navigate back to the main sheet, it does populate the C column of the main sheet (JE) however, it does not navigate back the main sheet as I would like. That is the main issue.

Does anyone know of a modification I can make to this code to keep ALL of the sheets except the active sheet, hidden, and still allow me to double-click values and have those values populate the C column of my main sheet (JE) as I normally did?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Code:
Option Explicit

Dim MySh As Worksheet

If Not MySh.Visible And MySh.Name <> Sh.Name Then MySh.Visible = 0
    Next MySh
End Sub

just taking a wild guess... untested ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that worked, sort of. I no longer get the run-time error but, when I'm on the sheets where I double-click values, it does not return to the main sheet (JE) after double-clicking the values. The values themselves populate the main sheet properly but it doesn't switch sheets. Any idea on how I can get that functionality to work?

Upvote 0
after looking at my post i think i meant to have the code set visible to 0 if the sheet IS visible... so remove the Not

try that, maybe that is the bug

i read your OP but it is hard to picture what you are doing with your vba code so it would be hard for me to say what exactly is wrong

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I keep the 'Not' it works well. The run-time error doesn't pop-up and when I double-click values in other sheets, they populate my main sheet/form, as they should.

The only issue left is when I double-click a value, it populates the cells in the C column of sheet "JE" but, doesn't navigate back to the sheet itself. That seems to be the only issue left.

Here is an example of the code I have for one of the sheets that has values I double-click, maybe it will be of some help:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

If Target.Column = 1 Then
    For j = 7 To 447
        If Worksheets("JE").Range("C" & j).Value = "" Then
             Worksheets("JE").Range("C" & j).Value = ActiveCell.Value
             Worksheets("JE").Activate
             Exit For
        End If
     Next j
End If
Sheets("JE").Visible = False
Cancel = True

Worksheets("JE").Activate
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Maybe it avoids the error but it doesn't make sense... "if your sheet is not visible then set visible to 0" . If a sheet is not visible then setting the visible property to 0 will have no effect. With Not, it is stopping visible sheets from getting set to 0. It seems that only "JE" sheet is activated and is Sh Object in the activate event. So you are trying to set every sheet that is not "JE" to invisible? If yes then you would want to check for Visible sheets and remove the Not. ;)

You probably are doing something wrong with Visible. If it is boolean, then try using True/False. VBA should be able to handle numbers for boolean values but not sure. If I know the type used I use it instead of making the compiler correct it or force a conversion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you use this... XlSheetVisibility Enumeration (Excel)

then the code could be...
Code:
Option Explicit

Dim MySh As Worksheet

If MySh.Visible = -1 And MySh.Name <> Sh.Name Then MySh.Visible = 0
    Next MySh
End Sub

i think your error was vba not being able to handle the enum value -1 in the If condition for a boolean but with Not it coerced it to convert to boolean

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I changed the code in my 'ThisWorkbook' Object to this:
Code:
Sub hideAllSheets()

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets

If ws.Name <> ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name Then

ws.Visible = xlSheetHidden
    End If

Next ws
End Sub

no error message but, on one sheet where I double-click account values in a sheet called "acct_codes" when I double-click a value it populates the main sheet but does not navigate back to the main sheet ("JE"). The acct_code vba is what I posted in post #5.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I added:
Code:
Worksheets("JE").Visible = 1
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
after the "Cancel = True and that seemed to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokoanutt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back