VBA Run-time error '1004'

AlwaysLearning2018

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have a spreadsheet with 2 macros and 2 sheets within the workbook (sheet 1 and sheet 2). I am very junior with VBA so apologies in advance. I have the below in which I am receiving this run-time error and the "If Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then" row is highlighted yellow for this error. Also below are my headers and data in my sheet. I believe the problem is I am basically trying to run an identical macro in sheet 2 that I am trying to run in sheet 1, but with a few modifications (in the below in macro 2, I am working with range "G2" instead and the offset would be .Offset(num -1, 2).Value = "-").

Is there a way in the below variable to first activate the sheet? I've been trying to figure out on my own and read about activating the sheet you are currently working with because excel doesn't know your object.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you.

Dim nums As Long, num As Long
nums = Range("D2").End(xlDown).Row
For num = 1 To nums
If Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then
Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 5).Value = "+"

Settlement DatePortfolioBank Account Number (Long)Long UnitsLong CurrencyBank Account Number (Short)Short UnitsShort CurrencyCash Plus or Minus
4/30/20194444111111USD450USD111111HKD0.00HKD+
<colgroup><col width="110" style="width: 83pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4022;"> <col width="62" style="width: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2267;"> <col width="190" style="width: 143pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6948;"> <col width="82" style="width: 62pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2998;"> <col width="95" style="width: 71pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3474;"> <col width="194" style="width: 146pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7094;"> <col width="75" style="width: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742;"> <col width="99" style="width: 74pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3620;"> <col width="128" style="width: 96pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4681;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi, maybe try something like that:

Code:
Sub foo()

With Sheet2
        nums = .Range("D2").End(xlDown).Row
        For num = 1 To nums
            If .Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then
                .Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 5).Value = "+"
            End If
        Next num
    End With
End Sub

Using "With Sheet2" statement should do the trick.

Upvote 0
Hi JustynaMK,

I think I found a better explanation of what is happening. If I have more than 1 row of data, the code I have works perfectly. I have other coding in the same macro that deletes out data I don't need and when I'm left with a single row of "good" data I get this run time error. I tried adding the With Sheet2 statement but still an into the same error. Very possible I just am not implementing your code correctly. Any suggestions would be great, and thank you SO much for taking the time to try to assist me. Very grateful for that.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for providing more info! If you are left with only a single row of "good" data, then nums argument will present a value of 1048576 (max row in Excel), causing the Run-time error.

Code:
nums = .Range("D2").End(xlDown).Row

Try replacing it with a different method of finding the last row, for example:

Code:
nums = .Range("D" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
That makes sense as to why I am getting this error! I attempted to use the below code (using yoursuggesting of changing the last row method) and received a Compile error:Invalid or unqualified reference. Anysuggestions? Full code below. Again, thank you so very much for taking the time!!!

nums = .Range("D" &Rows.Count).End(xlDown).Row
For num = 1 To nums
If.Range("D").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then
.Range("D").Offset(num - 1, 5).Value = "+"

End If
Next num

Upvote 0
Cool, glad it worked for you!
As for your code, there are a few small issues.

1) You are missing "With Sheet2 ... End With" statement. Your code is using references like:
Code:
Because you didn't specify to which Sheet a given Range should be assigned, VBA doesn't know how to interpret .Range (notice the dot before "Range"). Of course, you can use a different sheet code/name if needed (e.g. With Sheet1, With Sheets("mysheet"), etc.)

You can use "With...End With" statement to simplify your code, so instead of having:

Code:
    Sheet2.Range("A1").Value = "test1"
    Sheet2.Range("B1").Value = "test2"
    Sheet2.Range("C1").Value = "test3"
    Sheet2.Range("D1").Value = "test4"

...you can make it a little bit nicer by using With:

Code:
    With Sheet2
        .Range("A1").Value = "test1"
        .Range("B1").Value = "test2"
        .Range("C1").Value = "test3"
        .Range("D1").Value = "test4"
    End With

2) Your nums statement is incorrect:
Code:
Apart from missing Sheet2 reference (as per 1st point), you need to also add "dot" to .Rows.Count and replace xlDown with xlUp. Otherwise you are going to end up with the same issue as before ('run-time error') in case you are having one-row data set.

3) You need to change "D" to "D2" in the code below (and add space after the first "If") :
Code:
If.Range("D").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then
.Range("D").Offset(num - 1, 5).Value = "+"

So, to summarise, your final code might look somewhat like that:

Code:
Sub foo2()

With Sheet2
        nums = .Range("D" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        For num = 1 To nums
            If .Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 0).Value > 0 Then
                .Range("D2").Offset(num - 1, 5).Value = "+"
            End If
        Next num
    End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Still haven't had success. I really really appreciate your assistance. I'm just not getting it. I'm sorry! My result now is I don't get the "+" to populate in the column. I don't get the run time error with the final code you provided but again now don't get the "+" to generate in the appropriate column. That column is just blank now.

Upvote 0
Any chance you could post the table with some sample data or publicly share the file? It might be easier for me to notice the issue.

Alternatively, if all you want is to simply identify positive values in column D and display "+" symbol in column I, why not using an Excel formula like:
=IF(D2>0,"+","")

Best regards,
Justyna

Upvote 0
Hi Justyna,

Sorry, your code works PERFECTLY!! I figured out my issue. I was simply referencing the incorrect sheet number. Fixed that. This is AMAZING and I thank you very much for all of your help!!!!

Upvote 0
Uff! Awesome :) I'm happy you figured it out. Take care.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back