VBA Script to hide rows

ifu06416

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi there

I'm trying to build a code that will look down column A, containing case references, and hide the row if part of the case has been rejected, col c. Now this is simple enough but the problem is that there can be any number of parts to a case and each part is recorded on a new row, so a case can have any number of rows.

If any one of the rows relating to the col A case reference has been rejected then all the rows with that case reference have to be hidden. This should leave me with only case references where nothing has been rejected.

So in the example below only case ref 2 would remain unhidden, as it is the only one with no rejects associated with it.

ABC
1Case refCustomerOutcome
3case ref 1J Bloggsreject
4case ref 2R Bloggsuphold
5case ref 2R Bloggsuphold
6case ref 3K Bloggsreject
7case ref 4S Bloggsreject
8case ref 4S Bloggsuphold
9case ref 4S Bloggsreject

<tbody>
</tbody>

I've not been able to come up with a way around this using functions so i think VBA is he best way.

any help would be appreciated.

John.

Ahh sorry! I dont have Internet access on the computer in work so it was a bit of a manual typing job.

That code is working perfectly now.

I do have one more question if you don't mind.

If I wanted to delete the row instead of hiding it what would I change in the script?

Regards.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
If I wanted to delete the row instead of hiding it what would I change in the script?
Give this a try...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub HideRejects()
  Dim R As Long, LastRow As Long, CaseRefs As String
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row
  For R = 1 To LastRow
    If LCase(Cells(R, "C").Value) = "reject" Then
      If InStr(1, CaseRefs & Chr(1), Chr(1) & Cells(R, "A").Value & Chr(1), vbTextCompare) = 0 Then
        CaseRefs = CaseRefs & Chr(1) & Cells(R, "A").Value
      End If
    End If
  Next
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For R = LastRow To 1 Step -1
    If InStr(1, CaseRefs & Chr(1), Chr(1) & Cells(R, "A").Value & Chr(1), vbTextCompare) Then
      Rows(R).Delete
    End If
  Next
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Perhaps my posts aren't even showing in the thread (;)) but I'll post anyway since as far as I can see this can still be done without looping through the range twice - or even once.

Rich (BB code):
Sub Delete_Rejects()
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  With Range("A1:C" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    .Offset(, 100).Cells(2, 1).Formula = Replace("=COUNTIFS(A2:A#,A2,C2:C#,""Reject"")>0", "#", .Rows.Count)
    .AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:=.Offset(, 100).Resize(2, 1), Unique:=False
    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Delete
    .Offset(, 100).Cells(2, 1).ClearContents
    On Error Resume Next
    .Parent.ShowAllData
    On Error GoTo 0
  End With
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
.. or if shorter is desired & if the column C values are not formulas that require keeping as formulas:

Rich (BB code):
Sub Delete_Rejects_v2()
  With Range("C3", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1))
    .Value = Evaluate(Replace(Replace(Replace("if(len(#),if(countifs($a$2:$a$^,%,$c$2:$c$^,""reject""),1,#),1)", "#", .Address), "^", .Rows.Count + 1), "%", .Offset(, -2).Address))
    .SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers).EntireRow.Delete
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

I was struggling a bit so decided to focus on one persons approach. The work is done now so i have time to look over some other approaches as ill probably have to do the same thing again, your approach will be first on the list.

John

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

I was struggling a bit so decided to focus on one persons approach. The work is done now so i have time to look over some other approaches as ill probably have to do the same thing again, your approach will be first on the list.

John
Fair enough. At least now I know that you have seen my suggestions. Whether you implement or even try them is of course up to you. It is encouraging for helpers though to receive some acknowledgement. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxim_sivakon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back