VBA training

F&s anaylst

hi Guys,

apart from recording macro's and a bit of editing them i useless at VBA,

just wanted to check what is the best way to improve my knowledge and start to write my own codes from scratch, i found lots of courses for excel training but can't find any for VBA training

any thoughts or advice on this :eek:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
When I started trying to improve with VBA and macros earlier this year I got a book called "VBA and Macros for Microsoft(c) Office Excel 2007" by Bill Jelen and Tracy Syrstad. (It's actually how I found out about Mr. Excel) I really recommend it because it's very informative and extremely helpful!

Sam

Upvote 0
I found the best thing for me was to ask a lot of questions on this forum and troll the boards picking up ideas. I also save just about everything that I do and refer back to it when I come across a similar situation.

Really I think the best thing to do is come here and ask "how do I do....".

Upvote 0
I was wondering last night about courses/books for mildly advanced VBA users (by mildly advanced I mean I earn a living as a VBA developer).

I really want to reach the next level, and beyond workplace problems/solutions was wondering if anyone could recommend a book/course I could take.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.

On another related subject, I fancy learning a new Programming Language and was wondering if anything was 'Similar' to VBA? (or SQL which I'm pretty handy at).

Just something to keep me entertained on the long geeky nights away from home.....

Dave

Upvote 0
Richard Schollar recommended Professional Excel Development to me. (It's on my Christmas list.)
I have seen this book recommended a lot. Also, from these same authors there is:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-2007-Pr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224242972&sr=1-2

My question is, has anyone used the book in my link provided, it is suppose to be for 2007 and was wondering if it is similiar to the Professional Development book just newly published for 2007.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have seen this book recommended a lot. Also, from these same authors there is:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-2007-Pr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224242972&sr=1-2

My question is, has anyone used the book in my link provided, it is suppose to be for 2007 and was wondering if it is similiar to the Professional Development book just newly published for 2007.

Thanks.
The Excel 2007 VBA Programmers Reference I would say is Beginner to Intermediate level. PED is advanced. They are both very good (I carry them around in my bag most days) - I regard PED as the Bible for Excel specific development. The pure VBA bible for me is the VBA Developers Handbook by Getz and Gilbert. I would carry that around too, but then I wouldn't be able to lift my bag anymore.

Upvote 0
Richard Schollar recommended Professional Excel Development to me. (It's on my Christmas list.)

This is probably the most useful volume on my bookshelf, yet you need a fairly good VBA base before approaching this book.

I have been looking into getting a good VBA programming book. For those of you on the forums who have looked at posts I have made that involve VBA, would you feel this particular book is too advanced for my current level of expertise? If it is - any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncguzzo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back