VBA training

F&s anaylst

hi Guys,

apart from recording macro's and a bit of editing them i useless at VBA,

just wanted to check what is the best way to improve my knowledge and start to write my own codes from scratch, i found lots of courses for excel training but can't find any for VBA training

any thoughts or advice on this :eek:

It's very advanced - it will probably go way beyond what nearly all of us on the Board will use on a daily basis. But, it is exceptionally good. I think a lot of it is accessible even if it is beyond what you habitually do. I would get a lower level ref too, my current favourite being "Programming Excel with VBA & .NET" - not much .NET in there, mostly (good) VBA to use in every day situations. I also have a very soft spot for "Excel 2002 VBA Programmer's Reference" which is an earlier version than the one Rob posted above.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
The "Excel 200x VBA Programmer's Reference" books are all good, except the 2003 one, IMO. Most of the 2007 one is applicable to earlier versions plus there's some good stuff on RibbonX.
The PED does cover some basic principles such as worksheet design, add-ins, userforms and commandbar stuff, in addition to the really advanced stuff like interfaces, so I think you would find it interesting based on what I've seen. :)

Upvote 0
Thread Hijack alert...

Disco Pistol
On another related subject, I fancy learning a new Programming Language and was wondering if anything was 'Similar' to VBA? (or SQL which I'm pretty handy at).

As I've spouted on various threads I like building web apps and so for me having done VBA I figured doing something in Classic ASP (c 2002) was the way to go then upgraded myself to ASP.NET (VB rather than C) ... with a db back end your SQL skills will come in handy ... (there are of course differences pending platform used - for ex I am pure MySQL (with some SQL Svr) so although I can code SQL in Access I'd have to check my syntax)...

Whilst cruising the aisles of PC World this morning (my *treat* to myself having done the shopping at Tesco's earlier) I finally found a decent ASP.NET 3.5 book in VB:

"Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in VB 2008"

I'll let you know...

Hijack over.
Out.

Going back to the subject of VBA -- I'd like to see Rory & Richard host some sort of seminar for those of us in / around the London area to attend... to teach us some of the more advanced tricks & tips... if there was to be alcohol involved also I think we'd get a pretty good turn out!!

Upvote 0
Got really good book yesterday just getting into it now real eye opener for me anyway, any thoughts on it?

Excel 2007 power programming with vba - by john walkenbach

Upvote 0
I have seen this book recommended a lot. Also, from these same authors there is:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-2007-Pr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224242972&sr=1-2

My question is, has anyone used the book in my link provided, it is suppose to be for 2007 and was wondering if it is similiar to the Professional Development book just newly published for 2007.

Thanks.

It's updated where relevant, but it also has some completely new material -- for example, on modifying the Ribbon. I think you'll find that the Charting and Pivot Table sections would have required complete rewites too.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thread Hijack alert...

As I've spouted on various threads I like building web apps and so for me having done VBA I figured doing something in Classic ASP (c 2002) was the way to go then upgraded myself to ASP.NET (VB rather than C) ... with a db back end your SQL skills will come in handy ... (there are of course differences pending platform used - for ex I am pure MySQL (with some SQL Svr) so although I can code SQL in Access I'd have to check my syntax)...

Whilst cruising the aisles of PC World this morning (my *treat* to myself having done the shopping at Tesco's earlier) I finally found a decent ASP.NET 3.5 book in VB:

"Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in VB 2008"

I'll let you know...

Hijack over.
Out.

Going back to the subject of VBA -- I'd like to see Rory & Richard host some sort of seminar for those of us in / around the London area to attend... to teach us some of the more advanced tricks & tips... if there was to be alcohol involved also I think we'd get a pretty good turn out!!

ASP.NET 3.5 is definitely useful. It has the advantage that you can use VB.Net or C# as your programming language. I just picked up a new title from Sitepoint.com and am working my way through it. Looks good so far.

And off the point entirely -- name change! When did you start tilting at windmills?

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back