[VBA] When a cell value change other sheet, trigger other cells function, and change the result macro

ozan efendi

Hi, ihave this code below and it gets data from sheet1 and does index and match function. But, the problem is, while i am using this function in sheet2, i can get the results flawlessly. But when i change the reference cells value in sheet1, nothing happens. I guess, that is because the "Activesheet.EnableCalculation" code. It only triggers if i change a cell value in sheet2 (i write the function in sheet2). I' m trying to fix this for two days, unfortunalety i couldn' t find. Can anyone help on this macro? Thanks.

Code:
Function Index_func1(x As Variant, y As Variant) As Variant
Dim Model As Variant
Dim Bakim As Variant

ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation = False

Model = Application.Match(x, Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("a1:a10000"), 0)
Bakim = Application.Match(y, Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("a1:dd1"), 0)
Index_func1 = Application.Index(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("a1:dd10000"), Model, Bakim)

ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation = True

End Function

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Well, if it's only sheet2 that you need to change EnableCalculation of then instead of
ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation=False/True, change it to
Sheets("Sheet2").EnableCalculation=False/True.

If it's any sheet except sheet1 that you want to change the EnableCalculation of then use something like:
If activesheet.name <> "Sheet1" then activesheet.EnableCalculation=False/True

Upvote 0
hi pi45cal. thanks for the response. actually this isnt what i meant. i have a table of a cars price list in sheet1 ( for example i have a price of all audi cars. the row part is car model the column part is cars age.). according to sheet1 if i write a model of audi in cell A1in sheet2 with index and match formulas i can find the price. if i write another model name in cell A1 i get the correct result. however when i change the place of the model (for example from B5 to B16) the function in sheet1 does not trigger. so what i need is a code triggering the function code while a change occurs in both sheets. thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got you!
I think the reason is this; Because the formula (as written on the worksheet) does not refer to sheet1, changes on sheet1 do not trigger a recalculation of your formulae. If you were to change your function to refer to the table on sheet1 I think it will update properly. So:
Code:
Function Index_func1(x, y, SourceTable As Range)
Dim Model As Long
Dim Bakim As Long
Model = Application.Match(x, SourceTable.Columns(1), 0)
Bakim = Application.Match(y, SourceTable.Rows(1), 0)
Index_func1 = Application.Index(SourceTable, Model, Bakim)
End Function
with a change to how the formula is used on the sheet to the likes of:
=index_func1(C3,D2,Sheet1!$a$1:$dd$10000)

There should be no need for any lines in the function related to Calculation.

BTW, a1:dd10000 is quite a large range, you really have that many car ages/models??!
It will add significant time to recalculation if there are more than a few of your formulae on a sheet.

Also, you UDF can be shortened to:
Code:
Function Index_func1(x, y, SourceTable)
Index_func1 = Application.Index(SourceTable, Application.Match(x, SourceTable.Columns(1), 0), Application.Match(y, SourceTable.Rows(1), 0))
End Function
or even:
Code:
Function Index_func1(x, y, SourceTable)
Index_func1 = SourceTable.Parent.Cells(SourceTable.Columns(1).Find(x).Row, SourceTable.Rows(1).Find(y).Column)
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back