VBA Worksheet_Chnage event bug

tiredofit

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
My program has both a Worksheet_Change event and a Worksheet_SelectionChange event.

For some reason, when it runs to the end of the Worksheet_Change event, it jumps to the Worksheet_SelectionChange event.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Then when I change a value, it shows Change. After clicking OK, it shows Select.
Yet there is nothing in either Event that selects a cell, but it still runs both codes.
That's because when you change a cell & hit Enter or Tab, a new cell is selected. Thereby triggering both events.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the code inside the Event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
It is as if it "remembers" an event is due to take place, waits for Application.EnableEvents = True then kicks off the Worksheet_SelectionChange event.
It's not that.

Both events are queued, one behind the other, before you've disabled events. And disabling events doesn't flush the queue, it prevents new events from queuing.

Upvote 0
It's not that.

Both events are queued, one behind the other, before you've disabled events. And disabling events doesn't flush the queue, it prevents new events from queuing.

So are you saying when you turn EE back on, the events return? If so, why does my second example (the one with only the Worksheet_Change event) not be stuck on an infinite loop the moment EE is turned back on?

Upvote 0
Yet there is nothing in either Event that selects a cell, but it still runs both codes.
That's because when you change a cell & hit Enter or Tab, a new cell is selected. Thereby triggering both events.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the code inside the Event.

in this code by yongle:

Code:
Option Explicit
Dim c As Integer
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    c = c + 1
    Target.Offset(, 2).Select
    MsgBox "A" & vbCr & "Change " & c
End Sub
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    c = c + 1
    MsgBox "B" & vbCr & "SelectionChange " & c
End Sub

I change a value in a cell, the code starts off here:

Code:

then runs to here:

Code:
<strike></strike>Target.Offset(, 2).Select

as soon as that line is executed, it jumps to the Worksheet_SelectionChange event, runs to the end of that sub, then returns to the Worksheet_Cahnge event line:

Code:
MsgBox "A" & vbCr & "Change " & c

runs to End Sub. That makes sense.

but then it jumps to the first line of Worksheet_SelectionChange event. But nothing's selected or changed by this stage, so why is it jumping there?

<strike></strike><strike></strike><strike></strike>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In post#16 you said
Then when I change a value, it shows Change. After clicking OK, it shows Select.
referring to these two codes
Code:
MsgBox "Change"
End Sub

MsgBox "Select"
End Sub
Neither of them change the selected cell, yet both message boxes appear, meaning both events have been triggered.

Upvote 0
In post#16 you saidreferring to these two codes
Code:
MsgBox "Change"
End Sub

MsgBox "Select"
End Sub
Neither of them change the selected cell, yet both message boxes appear, meaning both events have been triggered.

As I said in #16, I changed a value in a cell, it kicked off the Worksheet_Change event, then after that whole sub ran, it went to the Worksheet_SelectionChange event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first time it goes to the selectionchange event, is because the change event has selected another cell.
The 2nd time is for the same reason that the selectionchange event triggers with the code i posted.

Upvote 0
Many thanks to all.

I'll use shg's solution for my needs.

Upvote 0
Code:
Application.MoveAfterReturn[/code

Could I have substituted it with True?[/quote]
If MoveAfterReturn is True, you want to ignore the associated SelectionChange event. If it's not, you don't.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightArisen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back