Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Sheet2
Lookup_value=Z4 (in Sheet2)
Table_array: Sheet1 A4:D9999

I want to get cell A & matching cell is D. What should be the vlookup formula? By using Col_index_num as -3 I am not getting the answer.

I'd still use INDEX/MATCH ;)

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,MATCH(AN2,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,0))
But got #N/A!!! whereas vlookup was giving CORRECT answer at this cell.[/QUOTE]

=VLOOKUP(AN2,CHOOSE({1,2},'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141),2,0)

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH(AN2,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

are necessarily equivalent.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,MATCH(AN2,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,0))
But got #N/A!!! whereas vlookup was giving CORRECT answer at this cell.
That's because you have your columns the wrong way around. Try

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH(AN2,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

Upvote 0
Peter, I have copied & pasted the exact formula which I am using now i.e. yours. It is giving #N/A. What else can be the reasons & how to get the answer?
=VLOOKUP(AN2,CHOOSE({1,2},'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141),2,0)

I'd still use INDEX/MATCH ;)

But got #N/A!!! whereas vlookup was giving CORRECT answer at this cell.[/QUOTE]

are equivalent.

Upvote 0

are equivalent.[/QUOTE]

I used the above INDEX.... formula. But the problem which occurs is slightly different in manner. I'll try to explain, please bear with me.
I am using this INDEX formula in workbook2 (in column AO) to get a column's cell A from workbook1 provided Column AN (of workbook2) MATCHES EXACTLY with Column JK (of workbook1). I am getting AN & JK using formulas (which contains IFERROR, LEFT, UPPER & SUBSTITUTE).
Incident 1: AN2=ABASAHEBS & JK56=ABASAHEBS & I got A56 which is CORRECT.
Incident2: AN2=ABASAHEB & JK56=ABASAHEB but I am NOT ABLE to get A56? Instead I am getting #N/A How to get A56 here. What mistake could I be doing?

Upvote 0

are equivalent.

I used the above INDEX.... formula. But the problem which occurs is slightly different in manner. I'll try to explain, please bear with me.
I am using this INDEX formula in workbook2 (in column AO) to get a column's cell A from workbook1 provided Column AN (of workbook2) MATCHES EXACTLY with Column JK (of workbook1). I am getting AN & JK using formulas (which contains IFERROR, LEFT, UPPER & SUBSTITUTE).
Incident 1: AN2=ABASAHEBS & JK56=ABASAHEBS & I got A56 which is CORRECT.
Incident2: AN2=ABASAHEB & JK56=ABASAHEB but I am NOT ABLE to get A56? Instead I am getting #N/A How to get A56 here. What mistake could I be doing?

So it's not a question of Index/Match vs VLOOKUP with a table constructed using Choose, right?

If so, do one of...

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH(TRIM(AN2),'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH("*"&AN2&"*",'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

succeed also in the abnormal case?

Upvote 0
I used last INDEX (WITHOUT TRIM)
Incident 1: AN2=ABASAHEB & JK56=ABASAHEB & I got A56 which is CORRECT.
Incident2: AN2=ABASAHEBS & JK56=ABASAHEBS but I am NOT ABLE to get A56? Instead I am getting #N/A

Here also I am getting AN & JK using formulas (which contains IFERROR, LEFT, UPPER & SUBSTITUTE).

Upvote 0
I used last INDEX (WITHOUT TRIM)
Incident2: AN2=ABASAHEBS & JK56=ABASAHEBS but I am NOT ABLE to get A56? Instead I am getting #N/A

Here also I am getting AN & JK using formulas (which contains IFERROR, LEFT, UPPER & SUBSTITUTE).

I'm not sure whether you have answered my question: What do the two modified formulas yield?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure whether you have answered my question: What do the two modified formulas yield?
Yes used your both formulas.
In both formula usage, the result was:

Upvote 0
Yes used your both formulas.
In both formula usage, the result was:

What is the result of:

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH(TRIM(AN2),'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

reagrding your "second incident"?

What is the result of:

=INDEX('[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$A$4:$A$141,MATCH("*"&AN2&"*",'[PIL HR DATABASE - CURRENT PIL]PIL'!$JK$4:$JK$141,0))

regarding your "second incident"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigPaws

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back