tom88Excel

Hi all,

Can you please guide me through this problem? I have 2 formulas below no.1 & no.2. No.1 does NOT work. It pops up a Run-time error 1004 - unable to get the VLookup property of the WorksheetFunction class. However, no. 2 works fine. I tested my variable name "Lookup_Sheet_Range" below, it does returns Range("SHEET21_INV") just like no.2 below. So I really don't know what I'm missing...

Can you please show me how I can make no. 1 to work? I need to be able change variables constantly. Thank you!!!!

Code:
Sub Test3()

Dim Invoice_No As String
Dim Lookup_Sheet_Name As String
Dim Lookup_Sheet_Range As String
Dim Answer As String

Invoice_No = Range("D" & (ActiveCell.Row)).value
Lookup_Sheet_Name = Range("I" & (ActiveCell.Row)).value
Lookup_Sheet_Range = "Range (" & Chr(34) & Lookup_Sheet_Name & Chr(34) & ")"

MsgBox Invoice_No
MsgBox Lookup_Sheet_Name
MsgBox Lookup_Sheet_Range

Answer = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Invoice_No, Lookup_Sheet_Range, 4, False) ' # 1 This does not work
Answer = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Invoice_No, Range("SHEET21_INV"), 4, False) ' # 2 This works fine
MsgBox Answer

End Sub

Thank you for showing me this. Not sure if i'm doing it right. I got a 2 on the Immediate screen... By reading JumpingCrab's post, I've got it resolved by changing Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup to Application.VLoopkup. Thank you for you help!!!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
The functions
Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup and
Application.VLookup
handle errors in different ways.

Hey JumpingCrab, thank you for your reply. I have got it all working fine now. However, I'm still trying to understanding these codes below... I have read more article about it but still don't quite understand it.. I would appreciate if you (or someone) can explain to me or correct me about what these codes means...

Code:
    On Error Resume Next 'I'm guessing this code avoids error messages from popping up correct?
    Answer = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(vlookupvalue, VlookupRange, 2, False)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then' I don't understand why it is <> 0 but not = 0
        MsgBox "not found"
        Err.Clear
    Else
        MsgBox Answer
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0 'Where does this go to? I don't get this part...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problem.

The default VBA run-time behavior is to stop once an error occurs, show a dialog box with a (typically somewhat cryptic) message and present you with the options to either stop or debug.
This default is the "on error goto 0" behavior.
By changing this to "On Error Resume Next", VBA will catch the error, but just continue on the next line. This allows you to check what the error was.

A Err.Number <> 0 means there is an error;
Err.Number=0 means there was no error.

You check for an error <>0, because even if the code does not generate a runtime error, the "If Err.Number <> 0 Then" statement is still executed so you'll want to skip the error handling it if there is no error
Once the error has been handled, you return to default behavior by setting "On Error GoTo 0" again.

A detailed explanation of various VBA error handling techniques can be found here.

Cheers,
JL

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back