Vlookup Issue With Leading Zeros

JADownie

I am having an issue with a vlookup today, and wanted to see if I could get some opinions or tips to solve this.

I have a list of site codes which contain numbers with two leading zeros. Then on the next tab I have a form created where users type in the site code, and in the adjacent cell the name of the site will appear (I have the vlookup in this cell referencing the user input value to the left). However when I input a site code (ex. 00123) in the cell it only stores the value 123. I tried doing a custom number format ("00"#) and that displays the 00123 in my actual cell, but the vlookup still returns an error because it is only looking up 123.

Is there anyway to work around this or is there something I am doing wrong here? Thanks So much in advance because this is driving me crazy today!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Thanks that just worked great - I did not even think to do that!

But now I have another related issue. In my list of 100 codes, I just saw that 90 have two leading zeros and 10 have one leading zero. I am assuming that there is no way to account for this in my vlookup?

My formula is starting to get long...

=IFERROR(IF(D48="","",IF($K$12="MB",VLOOKUP("00"&U48,'Sigma vs Vendor'!A:I,8,FALSE),IF($K$12="TNN",VLOOKUP(U48,'Sigma vs Vendor'!B:J,9,FALSE),IF($K$12="DL",VLOOKUP(U48,'Sigma vs Vendor'!A:I,8,FALSE),"")))),"Check Site Code")

Upvote 0
Perhaps you can add a column that looks that the codes and reformats it without the leading zeroes.

Then, you can have the vlookup use that column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back