Vlookup not working when source files are closed

Tjeu

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey guys,

I have a file with a lot of linked data, which can't find any data via the Vlookup function when the source files are closed. It works perfectly until I decide I want to sort the data in a different way, which is when I get #REF! errors all over the place. However, when I open the source files it all works again.

Does anyone know what the cause of this might be and how I can fix it? I double checked the code to the source like a 100 times and I don't think that's what's wrong.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Many formulas do not work on closed files, but I believe VLOOKUP should work on a closed file. Can you show an example of your formula? Describe what you are sorting.

Upvote 0
=VLOOKUP(A3;'D:\Coachen\(2022-2025) Dalto A1\2022-2023\Statistieken\1e Helft Veld\Algemene Statistieken Dalto A1 2022-2023 1e helft Veld.xlsx'!Table5[#All];2;FALSE)

This is the code on one of the cells.

The sorting or something doesn't matter. It also happens with every other thing I do with the data, like removing or adding rows in the same table, etc.
Also, when I check which files are linked to the main file, it says it cannot make any connection with them.

Upvote 0
You cannot use structured references if you want the formula to work with a closed workbook. You will need to use ranges instead.

Upvote 0
You cannot use structured references if you want the formula to work with a closed workbook. You will need to use ranges instead.

Hi Fluff
What is structured reference?

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff
What is structured reference?
A structured reference is when you write a formula using Table names and Table column names in the formula. In the sample formula above:

Rich (BB code):
=VLOOKUP(A3;'D:\Coachen\(2022-2025) Dalto A1\2022-2023\Statistieken\1e Helft Veld\Algemene Statistieken Dalto A1 2022-2023 1e helft Veld.xlsx'!Table5[#All];2;FALSE)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back