VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH Result Skips Blanks Help

bauer_excel

Please I really need help! I am definitely a beginning excel user, and after using google and looking through this forum I am still unable to figure this out. Answers will be much appreciated!

Basically I have data that specifies how much of each item (codes) are used per phase. For example, 2x aaa is used in phase 1 and 3x aaa used in phase 3, but none used in phase 2.

I want to return result that have phases as the column header, detailing underneath what codes/items are used and how much is used. So for Phase 1, since bbb is not used, it is not listed. What I hope is to be able to automatically generate the result from the data itself, so something like a formula for each column of the result--as simple as possible so the formula is easy to understand (some things can be manually inputted, such as names of phases).

Currently I am using a combo of IF/INDEX/MATCH formula to return the results I want, but I am unable to skip the blanks (so for phase 1 I am getting aaa blankspace ccc ddd even though I only want aaa ddd eee).

This is my first time using this forum, I hope I explained it well enough. Please teach me how to best do this efficiently, thanks in advance :)

The Data:
CodePhase 1Phase 2Phase 3
aaa23
bbb34
ccc141
ddd22

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I Have Now (phase 1):

CodeQty
aaa2
#N/A
ccc1
ddd2

<tbody>
</tbody>

The Result I Want:
Phase 1Phase 2
CodeQuantityCodeQuantity
aaa2bbb3
ddd1ccc4
eee2

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
1​
CodePhase 1Phase 2Phase 3Phase 1
2​
aaa
CodeQty
3​
bbb
aaa
4​
ccc
ccc
5​
ddd
ddd
6​
7​

G1, just enter:
Rich (BB code):

=COUNT(INDEX($B$2:$D$5,0,MATCH(F1,$B$1:$D$1,0)))

F3, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):

=IF(ROWS($F$3:F3)<=$G$1,
    INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(INDEX($B$2:$D$5,0,MATCH($F$1,$B$1:$D$1,0))),
    ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($F$3:F3))),"")

G3, just enter and copy down:
Rich (BB code):

=IF($F3="","",VLOOKUP($F3,$A$2:$D$5,MATCH($F$1,$A$1:$D$1,0),0))

The same set up for the other "phases".

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, I will test it out!

However, as I need to apply this rule to a whole bunch of other things (like a huge excel), could you run through the rationale briefly so I can replicate the method?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, I will test it out!

However, as I need to apply this rule to a whole bunch of other things (like a huge excel), could you run through the rationale briefly so I can replicate the method?

G1: Dtermine (count) the number of numeric records in the Phase 1 range.
F3: Retieve each code associated with a numeric record from the Phase 1 range.
G3: Look up the quatity assoaciated with each code.

Upvote 0
Thanks again. Honestly I wanted to respond earlier but this is the first time I'm looking at array formulas so I am just taking time to learn how to use it.

Why have ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1 in the 2nd formula? With the dollar sign doesn't this always return a constant number? Oh man I apologize for my lack of excel understanding.

G1: Dtermine (count) the number of numeric records in the Phase 1 range.
F3: Retieve each code associated with a numeric record from the Phase 1 range.
G3: Look up the quatity assoaciated with each code.

Upvote 0
Thanks again. Honestly I wanted to respond earlier but this is the first time I'm looking at array formulas so I am just taking time to learn how to use it.

You are welcome.

Why have ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1 in the 2nd formula? With the dollar sign doesn't this always return a constant number? Oh man I apologize for my lack of excel understanding.

ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1 creates an integer vector matching the length of the target range: {1;2;3;4}. The positief results a re mapped onto this as integers and negative results as FALSE values. Such mapping is then used by the SMALL function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back