Vstack, Chooserows & Dollar

Nathan Asius

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I think I almost have it.

I am pulling a list of custom user-selected items from a worksheet using a VSTACK function. This is to create a Purchase Order. I have multiple named ranges that are also allow for filtering out blank rows. I this way, no matter how few options, or how many options are selected to be ordered, the list populated by VSTACK appears on another worksheet with no black rows or gaps in the data.

=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(FILTER(PanelSubPriceToPO,PanelSubPriceToPO<>""))," ")

The Range PanelSubPriceToPO from another worksheet is a single column. The Top row is a header that contains text and proves useful for me to have in the VSTACK. The rest of the column are 16 rows of cells that will contain numbers. VSTACK is very limited in formatting.

However, I managed to find that when I nest the DOLLAR function in the formula, all the numbers convert into the currency format when the result of the VSTACK is displayed.
=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK((DOLLAR(FILTER(PanelSubPriceToPO,PanelSubPriceToPO<>"")))))
The first row in the VSTACK then results to be VALUE# error because the DOLLAR function is applying to the text to it as well.

To solve this, I aimed to separate the first row in the range using the CHOOSEROWS(PanelSubPriceToPO,1) to take the top row and separate it, keeping it as the header in the VSTACK display. The remaining 16 rows with numbers all convert to currency.

=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(CHOOSEROWS(PanelSubPriceToPO,1),(DOLLAR(FILTER(PanelSubPriceToPO,PanelSubPriceToPO<>"")))))

This would work beautifully with the one small snag that the row immediately under the header that I managed to separate, gives me a VALUE# error again. The rest of the cells in the named range are all there but have dropped one row lower. (See image)
No matter where I attempt to place the Chooserows Argument, the FILTER, or the DOLLAR arguments, nor my trial and error with the parentheses, I can not manage to make this work the way I would like.

Is there a problem with my syntax I've overlooked? It seems I'm so close.
Or can I not do what I'm aiming to do with the VSTACK? If so, please suggest a different function that may work better.

Nathan

Attachments

• Vstack Chooserows Dollar.png
    Vstack Chooserows Dollar.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Try: =IF(PanelTotal="","",LET(p,PanelSubPriceToPO,f,FILTER(p,p<>""),IFERROR(DOLLAR(f),f)))

But are you sure you want to use the DOLLAR function, rather than formatting the cells?

DOLLAR() converts to text, hence for example:

A
1$10.00
2$20.00
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1=DOLLAR(10,2)
A2A2=DOLLAR(20,2)
A4A4=SUM(A1:A2)

Upvote 0
Solution
That Formula works perfectly. Thank You Stephen.
In other areas where I need to use it, where I'm 'stacking' a combinations or multiple arrays, (not just the single array one I used in the example), It won't work.
Can you suggest how to nest this 'Let(p' function into a VSTACK Function? Do I simply repeat the same arguments and substitute different arrays (my named ranges)?

Upvote 0
Maybe this
Excel Formula:
=LET(v,TOCOL(VSTACK(namedRng1,namedRng2,namedRng3),3),DOLLAR(v,2))

Upvote 0
Stephen, in answer to your previous question whether I'm sure to use DOLLAR function rather than in-cell formatting:
When using VSTACK, text formatting can be activated but that formatting stays in that cell pinned to the worksheet. The array that 'floats' or spills over it may differ in content and the number of entries. So if my array only has two items, then the 3rd or fourth cell down in the column I might not want it converted to to a currency format. It may be text, and not a number.

Upvote 0
This is the nested VSTACK I'm attempting to make work.

The first argument with the named range 'PanelCutLengthstoPO', is a range with numbers that are dimensions formatted in feet and inches. So I don't want this array to be shown in currency format using DOLLAR. The other three arrays I want to populate beneath the first with a blank row in between separating each. Each of these three arrays are subtotal amounts so they each need to be in the currency format using DOLLAR.

=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(FILTER(PanelCutLengthsToPO,PanelCutLengthsToPO<>"")," ",LET(sts,StdTrimSubtotlToPO,fs,FILTER(sts,sts<>""),IFERROR(DOLLAR(fs),fs))," ",(cts,CustomTrimSubtotalToPO,fc,FILTER(fc,fc<>""),IFERROR(DOLLAR((fc),fc))," ",(hs,HASubtotalToPO,fh,FILTER(hs,hs<>""),IFERROR(fh),fh)),""))

Either I have a problem with syntax, or the nested formula won't work with a LET. I continue to get the error: "You can't include a parameter to a LET function after defining it's calculation"

Thanks,Nathan

Upvote 0
Have you tried post #4? If you did, what didn't work?

Upvote 0
So If I combine my first formula, and Cubist's VSTACK suggestion, it seems to get close to what's needed here.

=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(FILTER(PanelCutLengthsToPO,PanelCutLengthsToPO<>"")," ",LET(v,TOCOL(VSTACK(StdTrimSubtotlToPO," ",CustomTrimSubtotalToPO," ",HASubtotalToPO," "),3),DOLLAR(v,2))))

When using the above, I get VALUE# errors displaying in each of the three arrays in the nested VSTACK. When I attempt to attach the IFERROR before the DOLLAR, the formula either fails, or I get prices displayed with lengthy trailing zeros after the decimal place.

The VALUE# errors are the text Headers having applied DOLLAR to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you tried post #4? If you did, what didn't work?
If you read my first post talking about why I attempted to use CHOOSE(ROWS, I needed to separate the first row in each array because it's text and can't have the Currency Format. So I tried your formula and the DOLLAR Function gets applied to the entire array, producing the #VALUE! Error. For some reason it also doesn't filter out blank rows.

Upvote 0
So If I combine my first formula, and Cubist's VSTACK suggestion, it seems to get close to what's needed here.

=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(FILTER(PanelCutLengthsToPO,PanelCutLengthsToPO<>"")," ",LET(v,TOCOL(VSTACK(StdTrimSubtotlToPO," ",CustomTrimSubtotalToPO," ",HASubtotalToPO," "),3),DOLLAR(v,2))))
Yes, very close:

ABCD
1PanelTotal
2Some value
4PanelCutLengthsToPOStdTrimSubtotlToPOCustomTrimSubtotalToPOHASubtotalToPO
5a$2.00$2.00$0.50
6b$2.50$3.00$1.50
7c$1.75$5.00$2.50
8$4.50$3.50
9d$4.50
11e
12PanelCutLengthsToPO
13a
14b
15c
16d
17e
19StdTrimSubtotlToPO
20$2.00
21$2.50
22$1.75
23$4.50
25CustomTrimSubtotalToPO
26$2.00
27$3.00
28$5.00
30HASubtotalToPO
31$0.50
32$1.50
33$2.50
34$3.50
35$4.50
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C12:C36C12=IF(PanelTotal="","",VSTACK(FILTER(PanelCutLengthsToPO,PanelCutLengthsToPO<>"")," ",LET(v,VSTACK(StdTrimSubtotlToPO," ",CustomTrimSubtotalToPO," ",HASubtotalToPO," "),IFERROR(DOLLAR(v),v))))
Dynamic array formulas.
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
CustomTrimSubtotalToPO=Sheet2!$C$4:$C$7C12
HASubtotalToPO=Sheet2!$D$4:$D$9C12
PanelCutLengthsToPO=Sheet2!$A$4:$A$11C12
PanelTotal=Sheet2!$A$2C12
StdTrimSubtotlToPO=Sheet2!$B$4:$B$8C12

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back