want to change the workbook link based on a text

concol

I have a workbook (Report) that is linked to another workbook (Yahoo Stock Quote) ...

My (Yahoo Stock Quote) workbook has multiple tabs.

I want to be able to link my workbook (Report) to Yahoo Stock Quote based on the tab I am on.

For example

=+'C:\Conrad\STOCKS\[Yahoo Stock Quote Downloader_ver1.xlsm]BMO'!A16 ----

I want to change the "BMO" to another name -- based on what sheet I am on in Report

So if I am on sheet "BMO" in report -- it pulls from tab "BMO" from the Yahoo Stock Quote file

If I am on Sheet DIS - on the Report work book -- I want the Data to pull from "DIS" from the Yahoo Stock Quote file.

I know I can use things like "find replace" but I have over 50 tabs and the names can change based on what stocks I am tracking.

I guess what I am really asking is there a way to make "BMO" variable based on the current sheet name.

Thanks for the help.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Something like this should work as long as the other workbook is open, Indirect does not work on closed workbooks. If you are on BMO in report then it will pull from BMO on the other workbook. Change file names and paths to match your data.
Code:
=INDIRECT("[Book2.xlsx]"&RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-SEARCH("]",CELL("filename",A1)))&"!$B$7")

Upvote 0
Something like this should work as long as the other workbook is open, Indirect does not work on closed workbooks. If you are on BMO in report then it will pull from BMO on the other workbook. Change file names and paths to match your data.
Code:
=INDIRECT("[Book2.xlsx]"&RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-SEARCH("]",CELL("filename",A1)))&"!$B$7")

Thanks ... this is almost there .... it works perfectly when the main file is NOT saved -- meaning that the file is just call "Book2" as soon as I save the file and it become "Book2.xlsx" it does seem to work.

Not sure how to explain this or why it is happening

Upvote 0
Thanks ... this is almost there .... it works perfectly when the main file is NOT saved -- meaning that the file is just call "Book2" as soon as I save the file and it become "Book2.xlsx" it does seem to work.

Not sure how to explain this or why it is happening

ok ... THANKS .... My issues is NOT what is above ... my issues was that I had "spaces" in my main file name -- once I removed the spaces it worked perfectly ...

thank you very much for your help -- I could not have even remotely figured out how to do this without your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back