Warning Message Pop-Up Box

Chris Waller

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel 2010 Spreadsheet. In Column A I have a list of names and in column B I have a list of dates. I would like to know if it is possible to create a pop-up box that will inform me if any of the names in Column A have worked on a Saturday, Sunday or any Bank Holidays. Column A is titled Name of Individual and Column B is titled Date of Activity.

I would like a pop-up box that will say something like:-

Fred Bloggs worked on Monday the 1st of January 2016 which is a Bank Holiday.
Fred Bloggs worked on Saturday the 30th December 2015. etc

I would ideally like this to be in VBA as I receive a large number of files containing similar data on a monthly basis. TIA

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Chris,

How would you like to trigger the pop up box?

This is a manually run message box;

Code:
Sub WorkedOn()
LastRw = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Bhols = Array("[COLOR=#ff0000]01/01/2016", "25/03/2016", "28/03/2016", "02/05/2016", "30/05/2016", "29/08/2016", "26/12/2016", "27/12/2016[/COLOR]")
For i = 2 To LastRw
    DayNum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Weekday(Range("B" & i), 2)
    If DayNum = 6 Then
        MsgTxt = MsgTxt & vbNewLine & Range("A" & i).Value & " worked on Saturday " & Format(Range("B" & i), "dd mmmm yyyy")
        GoTo Nrw
    ElseIf DayNum = 7 Then
        MsgTxt = MsgTxt & vbNewLine & Range("A" & i).Value & " worked on Sunday " & Format(Range("B" & i), "dd mmmm yyyy")
        GoTo Nrw
    End If
    For Each dy In Bhols
        If Range("B" & i).Value = DateValue(dy) Then
            MsgTxt = MsgTxt & vbNewLine & Range("A" & i).Value & " worked on " & Format(Range("B" & i), "dddd dd mmmm yyyy") & " which is a bank holiday"
        End If
    Next
Nrw:
Next

MsgBox (MsgTxt)
End Sub

You will have to change the bank holiday dates to your local ones (included are England & Wales Bank Holidays)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Alan.

Upvote 0
Alan,

Ideally I would like to be able to run the code by going into the Macro on the Developer Tab and run from there. TIA

Upvote 0
Alan,

I have come into work this morning and tried your VBA, however, it appears to be generating a run-time error '1004' Unable to get the weekday property of the WorksheetFunction class.

Upvote 0
Hi Chris,

How are your dates formatted? Try just using the weekday formula in a cell and see what the result is?
I'll have a look when I get to work see if I can reproduce that error...

Cheers,
Alan

Upvote 0
Alan,

The field is formatted as Date *14/03/2001 and the Locale (Location) English (UK). I did note that when I used the =Weekday() formula Friday was shown as day 1 through to Thursday which is day 7. Perhaps if I cahnge your VBA to day 2 (Saturday) and day 3 (Sunday) that may work for me. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Alan,

It appears that there is a problem with the following line as the macro stops and highlights the following line.

daynum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Weekday(Range("B" & i), 2)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Alan,

I have jsut had another thought. I know the VBA looks for the last row in column B, however, there is data lower down column B that should not be included in the range. Column G is the best one to refer to as this is the correct length so the VBA needs to use the range in column G, but it needs to refer to column B that contains the dates.

Upvote 0
Hi Chris,

The "2" at the end of the line changes it to 1 = Monday thru 7 = Sunday [so formula would be =Weekday(B1,2)]

Is cell B2 a date? and if not on what row do the dates start?

I assumed you would have a column heading in B1 so started the check at row 2, but if the date values don't start until for example row 5 you will need to change this line;

Code:
From;
For i = 2 To LastRw
To;
For i = 5 To LastRw

If it is a case where you will not be sure which row the dates start in I can do some code to deal with that.. I'll post it in a while..

Cheers,
Alan.

Upvote 0
Alan,

I have jsut had another thought. I know the VBA looks for the last row in column B, however, there is data lower down column B that should not be included in the range. Column G is the best one to refer to as this is the correct length so the VBA needs to use the range in column G, but it needs to refer to column B that contains the dates.

Ah ok, that is definitely the problem!

So this amended code now uses column G for last row and also checks if the value is a date (just in case :))

As it is now checking to see if it is a date first, if determining the last row for column G becomes a problem you should just be able to change it back to column B without it causing a problem...

Cheers,
Alan.

Code:
Sub WorkedOn()

LastRw = Range("[COLOR=#0000cd]G[/COLOR]" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Bhols = Array("01/01/2016", "25/03/2016", "28/03/2016", "02/05/2016", "30/05/2016", "29/08/2016", "26/12/2016", "27/12/2016")

For i = 2 To LastRw
    [COLOR=#ff0000]If IsDate(Range("B" & i).Value) = False Then GoTo Nrw[/COLOR]

DayNum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Weekday(Range("B" & i), 2)

If DayNum = 6 Or DayNum = 7 Then
        MsgTxt = MsgTxt & vbNewLine & Range("A" & i).Value & " worked on " & Format(Range("B" & i), "dddd dd mmmm yyyy")
        GoTo Nrw
    End If
    For Each dy In Bhols
        If Range("B" & i).Value = DateValue(dy) Then
            MsgTxt = MsgTxt & vbNewLine & Range("A" & i).Value & " worked on " & Format(Range("B" & i), "dddd dd mmmm yyyy") & " which is a bank holiday"
        End If
    Next
Nrw:
Next
MsgBox (MsgTxt)
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back