WARNING!!! Watch out folks I just lost hours of work time because I didn't know.....

Tyron

Hey Guys,

Not trying to spam, but thought this information would be important, because I haven't found it anywhere else.

The other day I created a worksheet that had some intense formulas in it. In an event to make things easier I hid the column that the formulas resided in.

I have just now found out that since I hid the cells(column) that all the formulas in those cells were erased by Excel 2013.

I have notified Microsoft. Now spread the word so that no one else has to lose hours of work and have to rebuild large formulas from scratch.

later

Ty

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Weird this happens on your Excel sheet. Can you elaborate on the setup you have? How can we reproduce what happened on a new sheet, its not losing the formulas for me when I hide columns. I built an inventory management system that controls everything through userforms and on the sheet I added command buttons that hides columns according to what button you click (like show the New equipment col, Used equip col, or different locations or back to show all columns). In the middle of the columns I have formulas counting totals. They do not get lost hiding the cols. I have Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2013 64bit.

Upvote 0
In Excel 2013 (as well as earlier versions) I have created and/or used used many spreadsheets with large amounts of complicated formulas and it is common to hide at least some of those formula columns. I have not come across any loss of formulas as you describe. In searching to see if there has been other such instances I am not finding anything. My conclusion is that it is more likely something you or somebody else has done or something else local to your situation, rather than an Excel 2013 bug. Have you had it happen in other workbooks or multiple times in any single workbook?

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Welp, you are both right. No big alert - Thank God! lol.

I would have posted earlier, but have been WAY busy with RL so have been only taking on the easy stuff. Anyways, this is the situation:

After preparing the worksheet and hiding the columns with the formulas I mistakenly deleted my test data. I say mistakenly, because since I didn't know I needed to protect the hidden cells so that they would not get deleted they ended up getting deleted. data cells are columns 1, 4, 7, etc. Formula(hidden) cells were columns 2,3,5,6,8,9. So you can see when I highlighted across the sheet do delete my test data I inadvertantly highlighted all values in columns 1-7 deleting formulas.

Thank God I was able to recover the formulas from columns 8 and 9 though which was able to half my additional work time. lol. I know now that if I intend to have hidden cells to protect once the formulas are in place.

Hope I didn't freak anyone else out.

later

Ty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back